The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spark plugs
Hi all,

I’d like some advice on best 14 mil plugs as mine tend to soot up — currently B6HS. Carb is 1.25 SU and I’m using a no 6 needle with blue spring. I don’t really want to change the needle as the car goes like the clappers when all four are firing nicely.
I’ve got a great spark with electronic ignition. Head is standard 36 with 10 thou off so nothing drastic.

Any suggestions wiI be much appreciated.
Try a set of B5HS. That sorted my problems.
Your post suggests that whilst the car goes like the clappers when all four plugs are firing, there are times when one or more plugs aren't firing?
As discussed on here previously, the 36 head is prone to plug fouling partly due to the position of the plug. If there is any oil getting up the bores past the pistons it will cause problems.
I would try the car with the mixture a flat leaner to see if it improves matters.  Look at the plugs again and if necessary go a further flat leaner.
If that doesn't work, try a grade hotter plug (B5HS?).
If that doesn't work consider fitting a Ricardo aluminium head.
Thanks for your responses — will try both suggestions and let you know how things go

Charles
I believe that you should use B5HS.
With the modern fuels B6HS are too cold.
I would guarantee that your car will run better and you will not suffer any pre-ignition.
Firstly I must admit I've never tried these but some years ago a friend, who was very experienced with building Austin's from almost nothing, suggested using a Lodge C3 spark plug as it had three electrodes and sparked well even if an engine tended to oil up.

I'm sure others on here will be more knowledgeable on the subject but I did notice The Green Spark Plug Company do seem to sell them.
Try Bosch W8AC plugs if you have a problem with oiling  up they are quite tolerant.
The NGK plugs dont like oil and once fouled are very difficult to run properly again.[And there are a lot of fakes around which are very poor].
Andy