The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Highland Sports Coupe project...
I think it depends on whether you want a 20's or 30's look car.For instance MG produced a L1 salonnette I believe,very much late 20's upright style whereas the airline was much more modern and aerodynamic,difficult to combine the 2 styles.
I like the Lombard look if it could work on the 6' 9" wheel base if I were to vote on it. Not too heavy on the wings though.
Does anyone have photos of the one Geoff Roe produced ?
Personally I don't think Tony's idea of a pointed tail on a coupe body style will work, and it's certainly an old fashioned shape if you want to create a 'thirties car. Better to stick a Triumph Spitfire-style bubble top onto a Nippy! There was a special bodied Fiat Topolino with a Mille Miglia-style coupe body, which popped up in the States a few years ago, but frustratingly I cannot find an image of it. This is a 508 Ballila which is a rather larger car, but you get the idea:

.jpg   b76d08b35c341cb73f49c9be9b8a1452.jpg (Size: 56.18 KB / Downloads: 693)

... or you could go all futuristic, like this Zagato body, which is on the Topolino chassis, so very much Austin Seven size and proportion:

.jpg   49-Fiat-Topolino-750MM_DV-09_PBC_dt02-800.jpg (Size: 76.21 KB / Downloads: 694)
Geoff Roes coupe was pictured a little while ago, the 'breadvan' style works quite well.   Chris Gould produced an 'Epsom'coupe which may also be worth studying.
Personally I would go for something like the Hillman Aero Minx streamlined coupe which has more art-deco features than the Midland Hotel in Morecambe.
Mind you, a car called the Morecambe Coupe would not be a best seller!
Perhaps someone more techy than me could post a picture of the above?
A great project, right up my street.
I find it quite interesting that some are suggesting copying the great imitator Morris, and I think copying is probably why no-one has so far really cracked it on an A7 so it will be interesting to see what you guys come up with. One person who I wish would weigh in on the debate is Joss, he has and excellent eye and is behind some of the most attractive and authentic body designs I have ever seen in an Austin 7 chassis. The key to success in my mind is making sure that the resulting car is still recognisably an Austin, that the design features and details are Austin inspired even if they are flavoured by other influences. One thing Joss always says is think of the story behind the car, think of the price point and then design as the company building would do to meet these criteria, its an A7 not a high end Marque where cost is not a consideration.
Black Art Enthusiast
(21-09-2020, 09:07 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Personally I don't think Tony's idea of a pointed tail on a coupe body style will work, and it's certainly an old fashioned shape if you want to create a 'thirties car. Better to stick a Triumph Spitfire-style bubble top onto a Nippy! There was a special bodied Fiat Topolino with a Mille Miglia-style coupe body, which popped up in the States a few years ago, but frustratingly I cannot find an image of it. This is a 508 Ballila which is a rather larger car, but you get the idea:

... or you could go all futuristic, like this Zagato body, which is on the Topolino chassis, so very much Austin Seven size and proportion:
Now that, Mike - the Zagato body on a Topolino chassis - must be your favourite, "I like small cars."
I *love* that Zagato body....
The Zagato bodied Topolino is brilliant but is more George Jetson than Herbert Austin?
This is the only picture I can find of Chris' Epsom, which sadly doesn't really show the important bit:

Took these of Chris' car at Beaulieu in 2011.

For what it's worth, I always fancied one of these -

.jpg   Bugatti 1.JPG (Size: 56.62 KB / Downloads: 566)

I think Ian has hit the nail on the head though - you can't read across an existing design to a frame of entirely different size and proportions; you need to start with the available size and space and figure out what will work best. Anyway I'm sure our Highland team know exactly what they are doing!

p.s. Stuart's headlights look lush.
p.p.s. I envy your vice Ruairidh. I have several vices but not a decent bench vice...