The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Highland Sports Coupe project...
Of those in Peter's photographs, I agree the MG bottom left is the most attractive, but I rather doubt it will translate well into Austin Seven proportions. I think Howard's idea of a more flowing style might be best; have you checked out some of the Australian coupe styles? Alternatively, take the B-type body and graft it onto a long bonnet so that replicates the Lombard and fits the 6'9" chassis (I suppose that will present problems with steering column and pedal arrangements?)
Inspiration ! Bugatti Type 68 body
.jpg   IMG_4512.JPG (Size: 106.27 KB / Downloads: 685)
Mr Joseph's work...

Our chosen chassis is a late Glasgow registered saloon - it was a special at some point and has a few extra bits that need to be removed and few bits that need to be put back on...

Hi Chaps
What a great project, I am sure you will enjoy yourselves.
I love the top left influence !
Austin sevens really are the thing.
Very interesting to hear everyone's preferences. Tony is right of course - we're all different in our idea of what looks good, there is no "right answer" as such but hopefully what we end up with will be broadly appealing. 

From my point of view it has to look like an Austin, and it has to look as though it could have been built by a coachbuilder in the 30s. Furthermore it needs to have as much headroom as a Nippy or Ulster and, although we're not working to a particular budget, it can't be unreasonably complex.

As I say, sketches next week.
Hi Ruairidh and Peter

Have you considered the lines of MG Airline Coupes , they did these on various chassis
PA, TA etc with triple glazing in the roof. ( 3 panels , not 3 x sheets!)

I hope the bodywork and wings for this car will be in Aluminium as by
the 30’s, Fabric was passé. :-)

Of course I would say that?

Bill G

Aka AllAlloyCup :-)
Based near the Scottish Border,
I can’t say I’ve owned 3very type of Austin Seven, but that’s the first time I’ve seen a silencer mounting bracket like that...have I missed something all these years? It looks “factory” to me!

A great project and Mr Joseph’s lamps look superb.
I look forward to see how this develops. I have tried numerous attempts to draft a design for a coupe with a longer bonnet. They all look reasonable until I put a scale person into the drawing. Then I realise that the roof is too low, I raise it and the design becomes dumpy and inelegant. Mind you, i am a terrible draughtsman and artist.

Jamie.
[Image: i-know-nothing-nothing.jpg]