The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Highland Sports Coupe project...
I think the long bonnet will give it a really rakish look, sensational work!
I hope so Jon, but I deliberately haven't spent time painting it in case we need to re-think. With the seats further back than a saloon the handbrake and gear lever are slightly too far away so some alterations will be needed.

www.peternaulls.co.uk

Looks lovely. Well done.
It's looking very good indeed. Is there any chance of rolling it outside for a better "sight" of it. Close camera shots have an unfortunate tendency to distort.....
(22-09-2020, 08:36 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Took these of Chris' car at Beaulieu in 2011.

That’s my Paxton special next to it — I remember at the time feeling in exalted company!

Charles
Yes Duncan, I will at some point. All the louvred panels arrived on Friday and this morning I collected a large delivery of ash for future projects. Can't move in here at the moment for timber and boxes!

Incidentally the ash I've used so far has been Eastern European but I think I may have found a supplier of locally grown stuff. I much prefer to support local businesses where I can.
Another few days of activity between customers' projects. 

The body has been clad with 1.5mm ply and the corners infilled. On a factory fabric saloon the infilled areas would be aluminium panels but as I have no experience making compound curvature metalwork I'm using a modern solution; medium density PU foam. It's the material you sometimes see being used for cad-machining prototype body-shells but can be shaped with hand tools and glued with wood glue.

Inside I've made the blank dash and door cappings, adding an inlay detail as was often used by cabinet makers and coachbuilders. 

The capping strip runs right around the rear shelf. Final adjustments and instrument fitting will happen after it comes back from the trimmer, then the wood pieces will be stained and finished.

I seem to have spent an extraordinary amount of time on little details and fittings. All important but progress feels very slow compared to ash framing! I've been spraying odd little components that the trimmer will want to fit permanently. Trim panels, door slam panels, boot locks, ali gutters, door-shut cappings etc are also complete.

Next week, fitting the rad shell and completing the front wing brackets
Looking superb.  You will need a nodding dog for the rear parcel shelf!
What are you proposing to use for the interior trim, leather or moquette?
Fabulous, yes. Are there any tartans which would be hardwearing enough for upholstery and door card use?
The interior will be leather. 

A friend of mine locally had a short wheelbase saloon with headlining in the clan tartan of the previous owner! Very quirky. I rather liked it. Sadly it is now an Ulster replica.

Peter.