The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we encourage our friends?
Hi Tony, I second your comments re Edmonds Auctions.Lovely family, I have know Richard senior for over 40 years. Went to one of there early auctions when refreshments were served by the family and friends
and at virtually no cost.Rules has changed all that sadly.
Not surprising that values are falling in the current climate, loss of jobs, illness, unsure future.
Keep safe all

Best Wishes Gene
I would say the prices achieved on the Austins was spot on, the Darraq in my view was a bargain, but as Tony said, as we all get older, fewer can relate to the older cars, particularly the Edwardians and the market diminishes.
I think there will always be a strong market for “proper” enthusiast cars like Fraser Nash, Bentley and Bugatti, despite the number of fakes doing the rounds.
The vintage and post vintage market is becoming quite volatile as the investors are getting twitchy about values of what might be described as more run of the mill cars, but it does mean there should be a lot more nice cars re-surfacing and coming onto the market, which has to be good news for those of us that actually drive them, rather than lock them away.
Well, that’s my thought for the day!
Well it was me who bought the Chummy, I fell in love with its condition, it looks to be in perfectly usable and certainly will not be restored. I hope to get it home on Tuesday, it should fit in well with the rest of the fleet of cars here. More practical than the (equally ratty) '34 Morgan 3 wheeler, as I can get the dogs in the back and LCES eligible.
Hi colin,

I think you will love the car, same as I have.

And it takes a great weight of my mind, that you plan to keep its oily rag look.

David lucas who owned it for around 18 years before me, only sold me the car, if I promised not to restore it.

There is always something you forget to put in with a car, I have a set of side screens here which came with the car. If we can work a way to get them to you. I'll hold them safely here till we can sort that out.

Also if you email me, tony.7ca@aol.co.uk I should have, if I can find it. An email from john sutton. John owned the car before david. And is at the moment righting a book on life. Cars he owned, raced etc. The email gives the paragraph of his book were he recalls an early part of its life, and were he latter got the chance to buy it.

Thanks tony.
The answer to JonE's question is: '29 Coupe £8,000 and '33 Four seat Tourer £9,250.
I looked at both the Darracq and the de Dion and thought at the estimate price I’d buy either but I thought the estimate was wrong. Oh well, you live and learn.
Alan Fairless
The 1912 De Dion has gone to a good friend, someone who's well known to many on here, and just the sort of person who should have it. It'll certainly be used and won't be a museum exhibit. Just be careful if you're coming round a blind bend on a narrow road in North Wales!!

Steve
Is he French? Do I know him?
Alan Fairless
Got it in one, Alan!

Steve
Couldn’t go to a more suitable owner.
Alan Fairless