The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we encourage our friends?
(16-09-2020, 03:15 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: http://richardedmondsauctions.com/catalo...w/?lot=714

Apart from the horrid registration number, what do our Coupe experts make of this one?
 That looks to be a nicely-done copy, pretty correct in most aspects. A shame it was not done with the factory-correct grey top half, and I would prefer a non-black interior, but I would be happy to park that in my garage.
(16-09-2020, 03:33 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Unfortunately many of the 'oily rag' cars around are not preserved originals, but run-down examples of a fifties 'tidy-up', and as such I can see no point in trying to preserve them in their present neglected state. But hey-ho, each to his own ...
If would be interesting to know if any pre-1930 example has survived with its original paint and plating. But, how can one be sure? Does anyone have experience on this point?
What do you think of the Coupe, Mike?
Tony,
My oily rag  late '28 Top Hat has the original Ni plating, but the body has been painted. I have a full history of the car. The first owner kept it for nearly thirty years and the second was a qualified engineer. I believe both of these really looked after the car - evidence from the second being in the form of a diary. The third owner only used the car sparingly after which it was laid up in a dry garage in the early '70s. I found it in 2017.
The interior is original, but tatty. The original engine was with the car which I rebuilt, also rewiring the car in armoured, mainly as a safety issue. Brakes, gearbox, clutch, shocks, king pins etc required no major work. The body is scuffed together with the wings etc. which are rusty in places. I use the car quite often and have no intention of restoring it. I love it!
PS. The rad. core leaked badly so had to be finally replaced and the wheels were treated to a new set of Longstones
(17-09-2020, 08:05 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: Tony,
My oily rag  late '28 Top Hat has the original Ni plating, but the body has been painted. I have a full history of the car. The first owner kept it for nearly thirty years and the second was a qualified engineer. I believe both of these really looked after the car - evidence from the second being in the form of a diary. The third owner only used the car sparingly after which it was laid up in a dry garage in the early '70s. I found it in 2017.
The interior is original, but tatty. The original engine was with the car which I rebuilt, also rewiring the car in armoured, mainly as a safety issue. Brakes, gearbox, clutch, shocks, king pins etc required no major work. The body is scuffed together with the wings etc. which are rusty in places. I use the car quite often and have no intention of restoring it. I love it!
PS. The rad. core leaked badly so had to be finally replaced and the wheels were treated to a new set of Longstones
Thank you for the information. That sounds to be a really lovely car - and in the correct hands.
Engineer’s cars are not necessarily a good bet. Like, we know what we can get away with ??
Alan Fairless
We non-engineers get away with even more Big Grin
Let's hope that we can welcome new forumists after today's auction. The "richly patinated" pram hood fetched £13,000, the 1928 Chummy sold for £8,000 and the Chummy rebodied by John Heath did not meet its reserve. Just as a comparison of age and price, the 1906 Darraq made £22,000.
hi steve,

yes my stunning little oily rag sold. and i hope the new owners have alot of fun out of it. and keep her mainly as she is now.

the hole experience on selling the car, (as i rarely sell my cars). has been a big eye opener to me, how others look at these old cars.

to me, the car wasnt all about having the most original serviving car out there.  it is how the car has servived so far.

the posihead screws are there because they were fitted when we done quick fixes to a car to get us to work the next morning. same as nobody picked up on one of the screws are back to front on the mag switch. so the thread sticks out in the car.

but imagine dad coming home from work, and the engine didnt stop when he pulled the switch out. he would try to fix it as he needed the car for tomorrow. its alot easier to get the bolt back in back to front with fat fingers. so thats what he did.

or even the white line around the wings that was painted on in the war. then painted over after. and is now showing through again.

or the holes in the rad surround and wings were lights have been brought forward.

the stunningly not the usual knobby spring on the rear axle. or the lovely leather gatters on the springs.

plus much more.

i could easily change all of the above, but then its all FAKE.

if you missed all this, you missed the hole point of the car.

the car is a survivor. and mainly unrestored. all of the above show how the car has come through its life.

my part in all of this with good friend, is i have made it all road worthy. so hopefully the car can keep evolving without a major restoration. that will make it look like every other shinny restored car.

a big surprise is how many people i heared say it should be in a museum Angry totally missing the point.

and yes id do it all again, BUT. not with an austin 7.

tony.

PS, glad you pointed out the darraq, ive repeated what it sold for to tracy about 20 times since ive gotten home. and she is very surprised it not strapped to the trailer Big Grin

and so am i Angry

the de dion only brought £14k

showing what many have been saying recently could be true.

that car nuts today, wouldnt know what to do with an edwardian car?. and pre war and vintage cars are quickly going the same way.

although the world still wants a veteran for one day a year, to do the london to brighton?? O how the rich live.

A couple of pics of the day for you.

Austin seven lined up for new homes.

Pick me, pick me,

A couple of pics of the day for you.

Austin seven lined up for new homes.

Pick me, pick me,

Some stunning early cars.

Pick me, pick me,

Last of all I'd like to give a big thank you to Richard Edmonds auction. Not just for selling my little pramhood. But if you ever attend one of there auctions. You will see the HUGE amount of effort that is put into the day.

Tony.
Fear not Tony, far from disappearing, the Pram hood's new owner has already signed on to the forum. Unfortunately the macine is still in Wiltshire so we won't be able to inpect it in the car park at Shelsley today.
'28 Chummy seemed very good value from the photos. What happened to the Coupe and the later saloons?