The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right-hand drive Bantam in India
In case you don't follow Facebook...
Hi there,
It's overwhelming to find a club for this little gem. This is Abhishek Nath. I am the founder of Gujarat Vintage and Classic Car Club.
It has been a great pleasure in finding a rare gem of a Bantam Roadster here in my city of Ahmedabad, Gujarat in India. On top of that, there's a greater historical significance to the vehicle. It was bought and owned by the most famous scientist of Indian Space research Organization Dr VIKRAM SARABHAI. The car still belongs to his family. We were looking at restoration at my workshop. Unfortunately, they've changed the engine to a Suzuki 1000cc motor with gearbox and have lost the original one. I was looking at all information on this car if possible. Also if you have any workshop/ service manuals available. Any other parts I may require would be of great help.

Attached Files
.jpg   img0.jpg (Size: 510.69 KB / Downloads: 360)
.jpg   img1.jpg (Size: 356.37 KB / Downloads: 361)
.jpg   img3.jpg (Size: 250.44 KB / Downloads: 360)
.jpg   img4.jpg (Size: 431.63 KB / Downloads: 361)
.jpg   img5.jpg (Size: 259.23 KB / Downloads: 361)
.jpg   img6.jpg (Size: 281.09 KB / Downloads: 361)
What a find. The motor is a "Reversed" Austin seven. The head gasket is the same, just turn it over.
As for a motor and gearbox, you might do better searching in USA. The Pacific Bantam club is quite active, and can be found on the internet.
There are a couple in New Zealand and an owner posts on this forum regularly. There is/was a roadster in South Africa, that was for sale a year or two ago.
I am in Australia. The wheelbase was lengthened to match the Ruby at 6ft 9in, and the body is a four seater with Australian body. There are a couple on the road here.
Peter
Richards Automotive Services should be able to provide an engine and gearbox for this:

https://trustinrust.com/contact-us/
The bicycle also of interest. It has the classic reliable rod brakes. Is it a current pattern or a restored oldie? Many features of modern bikes are mere fashion. For commuter use they have not improved since this style was the latest about 1910!
"They" were importing south Asia built bikes into the UK recently. They were of the type shown, a simple roadster with rod brakes.
(17-09-2020, 05:30 AM)BobĀ Culver Wrote: The bicycle also of interest. It has the classic reliable rod brakes. Is it a current pattern or a restored oldie? Many features of modern bikes are mere fashion. For commuter use they have not improved since this style was the latest about 1910!
...and a carrier (very handy), a comfortable seat and a centre stand. What's not to like? Perhaps a butcher's basket on the front would complete the job.
if we are going to continue down the thread divergence of bicycles, Elephant bikes are rather grand - and have charitable ideals...

https://www.cycleofgood.com/elephant-bike/
Thanks for that link, Hugh; what a brilliant idea!