The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace the dog
I am getting a batch of these mag engine starter dogs made at the moment, partly because I need one for my own car! They should be ready later this year, but I don't know a price yet. I'm also getting the usual coil engine ones made (BB52) and a few of the early coil ones (BB41).

David
(15-09-2020, 09:18 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: I'm also getting the usual coil engine ones made (BB52) and a few of the early coil ones (BB41).

David
David, would you be so kind as to explain the difference between the two coil-engine types?
See BB41 and BB52 here: www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#startinghandle

The early coil one is like a shortened magneto engine one.
The usual (late) coil one is the 'hook' type.

David
Tony Griffiths Wrote:Is it possible to use the later type on a mag engine? Obviously the handle would need modifying....

No, the Mag dog is quite different, long enough to stick out of the timing case altogether. It has a pulley mounted on it as well, so there's a parallel part reaching back inside the engine.

Nick Salmon Wrote:Not having done this particular job before on an early engine, when removing the timing gear cover is there anything likely to fall/spring out (timing gear bearings?) and thus cause me to have to take the engine out and entirely dismantle it in order to get the tiny widget back in?!

Removal of the cover is not trivial as it supports the timing gear bearings. AMoCo provided some "ears" on the casting to allow you to tap it off but many of these are broken, a testament to inexperience! There is nothing to "jump out" per se, just difficulty in tapping the cover off the bearings. See pic below.

Super helpful. Many thanks. I'll report back in due course.
Nick, the size is 7/8W and it is worth investing in a 6 point socket. Unfortunately, as others have said, removal of the little (oil seal) ally housing doesn’t help as the hole in the front case is not big enough to allow the socket to fit. It is worth checking the alignment of the starting handle bracket mounted on the front crossmember. If it is out of kilter or the shaft is a sloppy fit, the shaft will tend to resist engagement. Hope this helps.
AUSTIN REPRO HAVE EARLY STARTER DOGS
TEL 01202 625242
David Witton Wrote:Nick, the size is 7/8W and it is worth investing in a 6 point socket. Unfortunately, as others have said, removal of the little (oil seal) ally housing doesn’t help as the hole in the front case is not big enough to allow the socket to fit. It is worth checking the alignment of the starting handle bracket mounted on the front crossmember. If it is out of kilter or the shaft is a sloppy fit, the shaft will tend to resist engagement. Hope this helps.

7/8W box spanner? Might need grinding though Wink Or a specially modified, deep socket. I have several sockets that have been turned down to fit in tight spaces....
Nick
If you are removing the outer timing gear cover it helps to warm it up carefully so that it is quite warm to touch. I use a gas blowlamp.
Just for once I thought I would try the simple thing first - so I took the advice to see if the starting handle guide was letting the dog mesh properly. It wasn't - by a long way...

Four large washers later the  guide is doing its stuff and the handle engages solidly with the dog, to the degree that I can feel confident using it to start the car.

I am very grateful to all for the advice. Thanks.