The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre pumps?
Hi All

After pottering about town in the Brookfields it’s time to venture further afield. However I don’t have a spare and was going to rely on a replacement tube should a puncture occur.  But what to use to pump it up?

I think the options are, foot pumps, stirrup pumps, gas canisters, rechargeable pumps etc.  Bearing in mind I have very little room what do forum members recommend?

Cheers

Howard
If you havent got much space, how about something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oasser-Inflator...175&sr=8-5
Stuart Bullen
All you need are some small CO² bottles and an adaptor. I took one with me when I did Santiago. Look on the Bay of E. One gas bottle should give you about 5-10psi.
I don't carry one Howard, I simply gamble that should I ever need one I will be able to find a pump somewhere (nearby garages, dwellings, passing cars...) I haven't had to pump up a tyre at the roadside in the last twenty years (actually, never, come to think of it...) so have not yet had cause to regret this strategy.

I had a flat on the Molentocht back in the 90's and was instantly whisked off to the home of a truck driver whose family made me a coffee and insisted I merely sit and watch while he demonstrated his tube changing skills!

If that sounds too risky for your liking pop a bicycle pump in the back, it might take a while but will do the job if it has the appropriate connector. You only need 20 psi and could probably limp to a garage with less.
I have a 12v cigarette lighter socket fitted under the dashboard of all my Austins.  I use the pump from my modern Renault which is very compact.  I used to haul about an old Dunlop Junior foot pump that weighed a ton.  I once had to lend it to an entrant on one of the Pennine Runs.  The fact that it was wrapped up in a pair of old pyjama bottoms seemed to cause no end of amusement!
I have twice used those canisters with goo in them that are supposed to fix the puncture and inflate the tyre.

Neither worked.

I have the space to carry a foot pump, levers and a tube, fortuately.
Stirrup pump, has worked for the last 80 odd years. If 12volt then small electric pump. Keep things simple.
I carry an electric pump with lighter connection,a spare tube and tyre levers and have needed them twice in the last year. Prior to that I hadn't had a puncture for years...
The electric cig lighter connection type are fine if you have converted to 12 volts. I wish I could find one for 6 volts. I have a 6 volt to 12 volt converter fitted to my Ruby but it does not give enough power for a 12 volt pump.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi All

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Oh if I had Chris’s courage and good luck, knowing my luck I’d be stopped on a backroad with no phone signal (we get plenty of those round here!).  I’ve decided to splash out on the pump suggested byMr Pharmacist. Not cheap but very small and doubles as a flash light. I’ll report back.

Once again thanks all for the replies

Howard