The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just because it made me laugh
Here's another, an RN 
.jpg   949 XUW.jpg (Size: 205.72 KB / Downloads: 350)
hi john.

its probably got some sort of V8. and a jaguar rear axle.

but there again plenty of people have used reliant engines in specials. ive even seen a 3 cylinder suzuki engine used, or i think thats what it was. they all get called specials.

hotrods just stur most people imagination of right and wrong.

take for instance, i think it was dave williams`s 3 to 4 wheel hill climb austin 7. it had a 3 cylinder rotory engine. and no real back axle when first built. one seat. NO real body.

again it would get called a special.

most people, if not everyone loved it.

but there again it didnt get called a hotrod.

tony
Hi Tony, it had a 3 cylinder aero engine, 4 wheels, and a doped fabric/ wood framed body when I last saw it at Dave’s workshop. Had a PO reg number on it. All Austin seven except the engine. Definitely not a hotrod!
I may be speaking out of turn but to me hot rods are a big turn off.

I just like old cars for what they are.

Ray.
I think there is a distinct difference between a special made out of period parts even if it is a big WW1 aero engine, and a hot rod which is built out of more modern parts fitted into a far an older period body shell. There is in my eyes nothing wrong with either approach if thats what floats your boat, and both take a lot of skill to execute properly! Where I can personally sometimes take issue is when a perfectly restorable and previously unadulterated car gets destroyed in the process. Or where someone fog's the lines by fitting a modern engine and mechanicals into a car that otherwise has the appearance of being completely standard and still want to call it a pre war car to gain all the benefits afforded by that.
Black Art Enthusiast
(13-09-2020, 09:06 PM)Ray White Wrote: I may be speaking out of turn but to me hot rods are a big turn off.

I just like old cars for what they are.

Ray.
Me too as well also !
I'm with you too, Ray. I respect original hot rods, although they leave me cold, but I object to modern concoctions being passed off as something they're not. How some of them manage to get 'historic' status is beyond me.
3 Cylinder Blackburne engine. Prescott 2018.

Jim
AustinWood, That's the one built by Dave Williams
Here's a Ruby Pic that I tripped over on the web. Can't see what the motor is, but I guess from the Nitrous Oxide bottle in the passenger footwell, it might not be an A7 unit in there.....

[Image: 50343107756_15b464593a_z.jpg]

IMO, the only difference between the Curtiss etc. aero engined cars that the VSCC welcome and the hotrods that many of the flat cap fraternity decry, is the age of the mechanical parts. All these cars are effectively specials whether they have a radial aero motor or a Chevrolet or Rover V8 installed.