The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bent starter motor armature
The starter motor armature is bent causing the engagement to the fly wheel to disconnect. Is it possible to straighten it or do I need to buy a new starter motor?
Ian, I had this problem some months ago and was told that it could be straightened with the aid of a steel pipe of the correct inside diameter as the armature shaft or a very near fit. Fit the pipe over the shaft and lever straight. You also need a lathe to spin it to check for trueness. As I had non of theses I opted for a secondhand starter.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Should be quite possible to straighten it. I have done a couple of starter motors and the odd bent halfshaft in a hydraulic press. This is a 1950s Lucas starter motor that I did a few years ago. mounting the starter's spindle in a couple of vee blocks will allow you to set the convex area of the bend at the top, then using the press along with a dial guage, it soon allows you to judge how much natural spring there is in the spindle and how to compensate for it by going just past the point of elasticity with the press ram.

[Image: 50326990206_b5ab93cbf8_z.jpg]