The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANOTHER MISSING ULSTER
Hi Everyone,

Around 40 years ago, my Dad got a phone call from an A7 owning doctor. He said 'jump in your Chummy and get to this address ASAP'. We arrived at the house soon afterwards - a big house in Clifton Bedfordshire. The owner was bed-ridden, in his kitchen. I have always thought that the owner was something to do with Trust House Forte, but cannot find any evidence to back that up.

Anyway - The doctor was waiting for us, and took us to a smart barn in the garden. Inside, was a beautiful green ulster. This is where I have to apologise to all you Ulster officionados out there - we were sworn to secrecy about the car, so no pictures and amazingly, it didn't even get a reference in the 750 bulletin. It was unrestored, and we were told that all numbers matched, and I'm pretty certain that included a supercharger (but I may be wrong). The barn was of good quality, so the car was in good condition.

The one thing that has stayed firmly in my mind, was all the scrutineering tickets from Brooklands, still in the car. We were told that it hadn't run since before the war.

Where is it now? And was it as good as we were led to believe (and my memory thinks it was).

The memory of this car has stayed with me for 2/3 of my life, and I need closure on this one.

All the best,
Colin
Colin,
I think it very unfair of you to dangle this appetising little carrot in front of us!!.
I hope someone with extensive knowledge of EAs can assist. Would be fascinating to complete the story.
Green (dark?), Brooklands history, hidden away until 40 years ago?
I could guess.....

C
Sounds like James Anderson's car.
And what would be the address of James... Hmmm? Big Grin
Sounds like VE 4492. It went to auction and was bought by Mike Bills and later James Anderson and is now in the club house at Brooklands.
Sounds like I've got another excuse to visit Brooklands. A trip there is long overdue.
What a fantastic story Colin and the title of the entry is particularly apt ('Missing Ulster') because that's how the car appeared on a register of Ulsters that I believe David Howe put together in the 1960s. It does sound like it was my car and the patient was most likely to be Tam Raban, the car's second owner. It is amazing that the whole story relating to VE4492 has taken me about 40 years to fathom but the following history may help to explain why. 

When I purchased the Ulster I had no idea it was so rare and when I bought it in 1986 there were only two photos suggesting that it had raced at Brooklands. Long story short, I managed to find and meet the car's first owner Mr Victor Leslie Seyd who let me copy some more photos of the car in action at Brooklands etc from his family album and while doing so he told me he had sold it to Tam Raban. However, tragically, not long after Tam bought the car, his son was killed in another car (details vague re. this but it wasn't in the Ulster!) and 'it was pushed into a barn'. He asked me not to try and get in touch with Tam in view of this.

Yet again, the Forum through its members, has helped to clear up a few details not least of which is this new information but also some readers may recall, the finding of some of the Cups relating to the car under its ownership with Tam that were obviously and a bit sadly sold separately but are now fortunately back in my possession. In view of this help, as part of the Centenary of the Austin 7, I'm thinking of extracting the car sometime from the Museum and having an 'Ulster Day Meet at Brooklands' hopefully in 2021/22 once this Covid business settles. Views on this would be welcome. In the meantime, if members like particularly like Colin contact me by a private message I can meet them at Brooklands to have a good look at the car (as long as numbers don't get too great!!!).

Apologies for delay in my participation of this thread but the main computer that I use for the Forum has a mind of its own and has only decided to work today!
Hi James,

It is so good to hear that it is the same car. Thanks for completing the circle.

I did remember being told about the death of the son, at the time. We were told it was suicide, but this could have been inaccurate.

Back to the Ulster....
I checked back through my Beaulieu program list, and see that you have taken it to the rally on several occasions. Unfortunately all years that I wasn't there.

Has the car been restored? It certainly looks shinier than I remember.

I'd love to come and see the car at Brooklands with you. At the moment, I am in and out of the Country, and have movement restrictions all the time I'm in England. Hopefully an opportunity will appear before the year is out.

All the best,
Colin
What a fascinating thread. Sparked a memory of visiting Brooklands for a conference in 2015 - and then being able to wander at will around the site. Of course I took a snap of the Ulster in question -

.jpg   _DSC0776.JPG (Size: 511.91 KB / Downloads: 739)