The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Arthur Waite pictures
Malcolm, I don't think that can be Murray Jamieson; Waite had retired from racing before TM-J became involved, and I would guess the photo dates from c1930 along with the others.
Car 12 is Arthur Waite at the Brooklands August Bank Holiday Meeting 4th August 1930, Race 3, coming second behind a Bugatti.
The car, painted orange, had a semi-single seat body, a fairing over the passenger area and upswept scuttle in front of the driver.
The white rad. shell sloped backwards and as the starting handle was offset to the n/s it is suggested that the engine, gearbox & possible rear axle were offset.
If you want to upset a Nash man, tell him the only major competition success Frazer Nash had was when Archie was driving Austin Sevens
Alan Fairless
Thanks for that, Alan, I'll save it for next time I see my brother  Big Grin
    [    

Just before the pictures are carefully sent off to a certain distinguished archivist, here are two more. The only captioned image is of the driver peering under the bonnet. This was C R Dickason, and was taken in Australia in 1930. Even without the name across the frontage, headwear and Bush Fires notice in the showroom window would indicate where the other picture was taken.

Putting the Dickason picture on to the forum somehow chopped off the lower section. As this has some front axle/spring detail, here is another attempt.
I have seen the Austin Distributors pic before; I believe it dates from 1930. Ulsters were exported to Australia in chassis form, and this shows the standard Australian body style for the Ulster.
(03-09-2020, 09:29 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: OK, let's start with the last pic. From left to right, Gunnar Poppe, Arthur Waite, Archie Frazer Nash and ... who?

This should be at the 1930 Ards TT; no 24 is Waite's car, and 23 beyond is the 'harlequin' car of Poppe (also seen in photo 3), but where have the 'dumb-iron covers' come from - neither car didn't raced with them fitted.

"neither car didn't raced with them fitted". ???
Seriously, what is the box or hoop on the bonnet?
Bob,
Picture 2 (car 52) shows air intake under “box”.?

Roger
Tony Johns has provided a comprehensive caption for the scene outside the Austin Distributors picture:

Cyril Dickason, after contesting the first two Australian Grand Prix held at Phillip Island behind the wheel of a 12hp Austin, entered a supercharged Ulster 7hp Austin that had recently been imported to Melbourne by Austin Distributors for the 1930 race.

Motoring historians record that W Bill Thompson driving his Bugatti Type 37A as the race winner with Dickason third outright and first in Class A (up to 750cc). However for Austin enthusiasts what is not mentioned in the reports in addition to the GP there was also a race within a race for the driver who finished closest to his nominated race time. This was called the Sealed Nominated Time Trophy which Dickason won.

Photographed in 1930, the three Ulster model Austin Sevens owned by Austin Distributors Pty Ltd lined up in front of the 460 Bourke Street showroom before heading to Phillip Island for the race. The A in front of the number 1 can be seen on the tail of Dickason's car; the purpose was to make it easier for spectators to understand race progress by indicating in which of the three classes the cars were competing.

Tony also has a copy of this photo, with the following hand-written caption:

Australian Grand Prix, March 1930 - Austin Team
1. C R Dickason    2. C May    3. D Burkill
A Class won by C R Dickason, D Burkill second, C May crashed
C R Dickson 3rd overall and winner of Sealed Handicap