The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Arthur Waite pictures
Welcome Tony. I am sure your contributions to this discussion and the forum as a whole is much appreciated. The images you have just posted are very interesting. Makes you wonder where all that silvereware is now if, indeed, it still exists...

As far as the photos that started this thread off, those have been loaned to me, scanned, and returned to their custodian. More specific research is now taking place for each image and I hope to be able to publish them on the Archive web site i the near future with good descriptions...

The internet is a remarkable thing, perhaps only 20 years ago, this sort of exchange of information simply would nat have been possible...
Interesting mistake in the list of Captain Waite's trophies... one for an Essex Hillclimb is listed...

I don't believe there are any hills in Essex!
Nick,

Essex Hillclimb venues

1.  Bottledown Hill, near Billericay.   1906 -1924

2.  Laindon Two Church Hill, south of Lainson.  1906 - 1923

3.  Lawford  Hill,  Manningtree.   1906 - 1907

4. Lippett's Hill,  Mott Street.  1907 - 1910

5. Littlebury Hill, near Saffron Waldon.  1923 - 1924

6. Stapleford Tawney Airfield, Abridge.  1954 - 1964

7. Thundersley Church, near North Benfleet.  1920 - 1923

Essex is a little like Lincolnshire...it's not all flat!!
Sorry Chris. I was just being a little disingenuous having lived in Essex since 1980. 

To be fair though a hill climb on an airfield..?  That might prove my point.!
Just a bit of fun, Nick. I knew Essex quite well, having friends there during my time at uni. in London in the '60s
Perhaps the airfield was similar to the flight decks of modern aircraft carriers!!
If you are being driven on the M25 between Junctions 28 and 27 keep a lookout on the left side and you sill see the grass runway of Stapleford Tawney airfield going straight uphill to the south of the motorway. The course was used between September 1954 and September 1964. The hill climb course was the surfaced, but bumpy perimeter road on the west side of the airfield. It was a British Hill climb championship course in 1958.