The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 TT Car Reg OF 6462
What are the original TT and Ulster parts?
Two wheel nuts?
Bruce. Behave!
It would probably help seller AND extend knowledge into the arcane world of TT specifications if the parts makeup were publicly documented in the ad or on the forum thread. Inevitably ambiguous adverts will get questioned.
The seller does say that details of the car's history are available on request; why doesn't someone ask him?
(04-09-2020, 01:11 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: The seller does say that details of the car's history are available on request; why doesn't someone ask him?
I will ask him now and let you know.
I guess this is what we're talking about:

[Image: 307687-1597658353-7419905.jpg]

Copied from Chris Gould's site:
The few existing TT cars are rather like Triggers Broom or the 100 year old axe which has ten new heads and 20 new handles. I am open to correction, but the only genuine TT parts that I know of are as follows :-
First the 1929 cars. Holland Birkett had a 1930/31 car which left the factory with a 1929 engine. This engine still exists.

A 1929 body was fitted to a 1930 or 1931 Production Ulster chassis by an apprentice and that car still survives.

I have a 1929 petrol and oil tanks, but they are too rusty to use and were only suitable for copying.

Of the 1930/31 cars there is one complete with its original body and I think chassis and engine in Canada.

The late Mike Eyre restored GW 82 after it was badly damaged. He fitted a different frame and had a new body copied from the remains of the old one which I think was scrapped and fitted a production Ulster engine.
Probably most of the remainder of the car is still original.

Holland Birketts car still survives and is being restored and still has its original body.

The Gorden Brettell single seater was made from a TT car and its engine and TT axles are still with it. At present it is fitted with the TT engine that originally came from GW 82.

The Almack Special was also based on a TT car and it was rebuilt into the single seater owned by Robert Cowell. The remains of this car were found in Africa and it is now back in England most of the TT engine is still with it.

Charles Goodacre built up a special TT type car in 1933 which was used by Austin for development. Many years later the engine found its way into the LMW Special. It is now in David Howes car.

A TT car was broken up in London I think in the sixties.
The body was scrapped but I believe that its chassis was fitted with a replica production body and that it still survives in Belgium. The petrol tank, Luvax shock absorbers and some other parts were fitted to a believed Works car which was rebodied with a body copied from GW 82 and is now in Ireland.

Another petrol tank and oil tank survive on David Howes car.
That's very old information, but pretty some of it is accurate.

The "best" one that is known about is the "Canadian" car that is now in Ireland.

I've spoken to a previous owner of the car talked about here. It was never sold as being original. When he had it his opinion was that it had an original steering box & cylinder head.

Has anyone thought of starting to make parts in Northern Ireland yet? They could then claim to be original Ulsters!
There is Paul Armstrong "doing" Seven parts in Northern Ireland using Austin7Ulster website address - has some interesting parts on the website like a cheapish lightweight modern rad (with a replica filler as per the Rod Yates ones) to replace non-existent mid height 29/30 originals.
Not the wheel nuts then.

The previous owner's opinion that it had an original steering box and cylinder head counts for nothing unless it can be verified. I'm sorry to be so negative but I am naturally suspicious. I just can't help it it's in my nature. The car looks like a nicely patinated 1970s special/ulsteroid, no more no less.

I remember being taught a long time ago, the Copper's ABC rule of investigation:

Assume nothing.
Believe no-one.
Check everything, twice.

It has stood me in good stead.