The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Starter Motor Bolt Lengths
Hello all, 

I think I'm right that with early starter motors the bolts can foul the flywheel if too long. Is this the case for the later crankcase mounted motors (1934 saloon in this case) as well? Also, is anyone able to tell me what size the bolts should be - both size and BSW or BSF? 

Slightly basic question I know, but any pointers appreciated!
I am also interested in this thread in as much I would like to exchange the top starter motor fixing bolt to a cap head type as I find it very difficult to get either an open ended, ring or socket on to tighten it. I have ground down an old open ended spanner to make it easier to get onto the head of the bolt but it is still difficult.  It would be much easier with a cap head stud.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I have a couple of crankcases kicking around, I will have a look and report back.
All two bearing crankcases though 1933 / 34 / 35 ?
I have fitted a stud into one of the holes one my car which make lining it up and fitting it a lot easier, its a lot easier to spin a nut up than trying to support the starter whilst fitting a bolt into place.
Hi,
The threads in my crankcases are 5/16" BSW.
The upper thread is approx 1/2" deep and runs out into the side of the casting so fitting a longer bolt will not work, This is the one that I have fitted a bellhousing stud into.
The lower hole is a 5/16" BSW and is tapped through, (This has been opened out on one of my crankcases so it can be through bolted.)
The crankcase in the car is also 5/16" BSW.

So 4/8" plus the startermotor flange thickness about 3/8" should give you the bolt length = 7/8"( ISH" )
If you have a welder you can make you own obstruction spanner.
Thank you very much for taking the time to go and measure - very helpful!
Hi,
Its no problem when the bits are in the garage to be worked on.