The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonnet catches
On the 1928/9 RK both bonnet catches have completely seized up.
I have doused them in thread releasing fluid & taken one off completely. it is absolutely solid. Any ideas? I don't want to use too much brute force, because something will surely break! They are made of much heavier gauge than the repro. ones I fitted to an AD
They are not obviously dismantle-able.
I assume it is rust causing the problem. you could try removing it by electrolysis or something like Bilt Hamber deox-c
I find Bilt Hamber deox-c is excellent for releasing rusted up hinges and such like.
Buy a can of full sugar coca cola and soak them overnight. Cheapest solution.
Coke is the cheaper option, but I’ll second Bilt Hamber , it’s brilliant stuff, I did an entire body shell with it and all the hinges and connectors released without a problem
I can vouch for electrolysis as an effective method of freeing things. I have just used it to free up and clean the hinges for my Ruby: it took off all of the rust and loose paint. New pivot pins and they are working again.

Jamie.
Many thanks. I will remove the other catch and buy a can of tooth rot full strength Coke!
Grr! 
Soaked for several days...nicely rust free exterior, but they are absolutely solid! Perfectly good dead catches! I cannot see any way of opening them up so I suppose I will have to part with money to one of our suppliers!
D
I have had a good deal of success with freeing off seized items by putting them in my ultrasonic bath at 80c with cleaning solution - for half an our or so - literally shakes the rust off.

If you send me the catches I will put them in the next time I fire it up.
That is a kind offer. I will take you up on it...I prefer to keep the originals if at all possible. Mind you, what is left of the springs inside them may not be too springy! Will never know until I try. I have a tiddly jewellery u/s cleaner, but it is really only good for very small items. It wasn't any good on a carburettor bodies! I hope I have sent you a PM!