The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jubilee Garage, Harlesden, North London
I'm still trying to piece together the history of our Ruby. It passed through the hands of Jubilee Garage in Harlesden, North London in 1953. Does anyone have any knowledge of the garage? In particular I want to know if this is the same establishment as Harry Davies' second hand car dealership in Harlesden around the same time.

Other brief owners of the car in 1953 were Leyshon Laugher (Neasden) and John Kibblewhite (Welwyn Garden City). Both distinctive names so someone might remember them. Any information appreciated. Google has yielded nothing.

Peter.
Presumably you've seen this gettyimages Picture Post image of Harry Davies on his Harlesden lot in 1957. He appears to have been H. M. Davies - Tel: Elgar 2707.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news...d110681807

There's a James Kibblewhite listed here living in Welwyn Garden City - a relative perhaps ?

http://www.locatefamily.com/K/KIB/KIBBLEWHITE-2.html

There's only three individuals in the UK with the surname Laugher listed here - one in Windsor, one in London SW1 and the other in Ripon, North Yorkshire.

http://www.locatefamily.com/L/LAU/LAUGHER-1.html
Jeff,

Thank you, that's very helpful indeed. I wasn't aware of the Locate Family website. I will send off a couple of letters and see what response I get. I would think they are very likely to be descendants.

I had seen that lovely Getty Images picture, that's why I'm keen to know if it's the same trader as Jubilee Garage. There is a signature against the change of owner in the log book - impossible to make out but it doesn't look like Davies. I really need someone with local knowledge and a good memory!

Tantalizingly my brother came close to knowing more in the 1970s. He was driving the Ruby through St.Albans when a car pulled up alongside him at the traffic lights. The driver leaned across and shouted that he "used to own that very car" when he lived in London. With that the lights changed and off he went!

Peter.
Peter,

Just a thought, should you know of anyone currently living in North London and able to visit the library in High Road, Willesden. I should think back copies of local newspapers for the Harlesden area from the 1950's will be available to view at Brent Archives - more than likely they'll carry small ads for the local second hand car dealers.

https://www.brent.gov.uk/archive
Thank you Jeff. I shall be down in London next year so could probably make a visit. Incidentally I did try the local history society but they didn't have any info.

Peter.
Ruby saloon DAF 157.

Isn't the internet marvellous. Following on Jeff's suggestion I eventually traced the family of one of the previous owners of our Ruby, from the 1950s. They were delighted to hear that the car has survived. The son and wife of the then owner shared various stories about their time with the car; she recalled having to sell her sewing machine to pay for the tax and insurance on their new acquisition! Regrettably they live a long way from Inverness so a reunion is unlikely.

Recently I have also had a trip to London and, using the amazing archives of Brent Library found the name of the dealer who sold the car in 1953. Mr. Gilbert, trading as Jubilee Garage, Harlesden. Does anyone know anything about Mr. Gilbert's establishment? I was hoping he may have run advertisments in the local press but nothing has materialised. A photo of the garage would be lovely.

I'm still trying to trace the family of Mr. Leyshon Laugher. Before the war he worked for London Passenger Transport Board (later London Transport) as a fitter ...

... and a very long shot, but if anyone knows who owned the car when it was in Cornwall prior to 1952 I would be delighted to hear from them.

Peter.