The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cam followers split?
You mean like this Steve and do you also remove the taper seat on the top of the cam follower and fit flat nuts.  Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

For a road car, if you keep the taper locknuts you can get away with just the one spanner to adjust tappets by having the locknuts just tight enough to provide grip on the tappet. They are a pain to adjust with two spanners virtually standing on your head to get under the exhaust manifold.
most of the sports mods i understand.

is there anything gained by grinding the tops of the followers flat.

or is it just preference to how you want to lock the tappet off.

thanks tony.
Yes, it’s the taper that causes the tappet block to split. And, I guess a flat but is a lot lighter.
Alan Fairless
Finally followed Alan's advice and removed the valve guides so that the cam followers could be lifted free, they are the later type shouldered guides that can be driven down into the space above the followers. I was able to get a couple of good used followers, they popped in with no trouble and a big G clamp re inserted the guides. Straightforward and done in less than an hour.
Thanks Alan and all who contributed.
The shouldered guides are the early ones. If you had the later straight guides you could have just pulled them up with a long bolt and big thick flat washer.
(20-08-2020, 07:45 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: You mean like this Steve and do you also remove the taper seat on the top of the cam follower and fit flat nuts.  Terry.
That's what my father did on his own engines.