The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cam followers split?
Hello, with the engine in the chassis I find that two cam followers 'stick' when the tappet screws are locked home, I expect they are cracked or split at the top. Is this a common problem or have I just been heavy handed? 
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove them by carefully lifting the block sufficiently (with all pistons level) - I find that there isn't room to remove them from above.
Many thanks, 
John.
Yes it’s a known problem. Rather than lift the block, can you devise a suitable puller and just remove the offending valve guides?
Alan Fairless
If two are gone I'd worry that the others are close behind.
Thanks Alan, a good idea and it'll be a useful tool to have in any case and you're probably right Chris, I'll have to be careful.
You don’t need to take the guide out completely just raise it enough to get the block out. A hefty G cramp and some bits of bar and tube will put it back in position.
Alan Fairless
Not sure what is going off here. If the cam follower is cracked surely you need to remove exhaust manifold, remove appropriate valve and then remove tappet head and locknut. You can then remove cracked cam follower in the gap between follower bush and valve guide.
No, you can’t always. Depends on how far the guides are pushed in.
Alan Fairless
Which raises the question, how many cut down their valve guides so that they do not form a partial barrier to air flow? (and make it easy to remove cam followers via the valve chest)
Me for one! And I also turn off the bit of the cam follower guide that sticks up into the valve chest.

Steve
Now why doesn't that surprise me? Smoother gas flow AND a weight reduction!