The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery Sports Head
I have a sports 9E head but it is unlike others I have seen. It has more core plugs than usual including a row between the plug holes. 
  Can anyone shed any light on it please?

.jpg   P1040849.JPG (Size: 55.27 KB / Downloads: 419)
Hi Robert,
I have just checked my heads, one has the 9E mark with 3 core plugs of which one is between plug 3 & 4 I have been unable to read the patent number without taking the paint off.
The other one does not have the 9E mark but has AF, it also has the same core plug configuration, this might be an Ulster Head ? again the patent number is not readable.
The basic combustion chamber shape is the same on both heads ( one has been slightly modified though )
I can see no sign of a patent number on your head.
Its an odd one !
I believe that the head design was moved on from the Ulster to the Type 65 then Nippy and Speedy so it highly likely that more than one foundry pattern was made. ( Blown and Unblown Ulster ? )
I also suspect that the markings were nailed to the wooden foundry pattern and not changed at each casting.
This seems to indicated at least three different foundry patterns by sampling the three different heads so far.
It will be interesting to see what other details arise from you question.

I have two 9E blocks, one marked CHROMIDIUM the other one without.
Another Mystery of the Sports parts !!?
Hello Dickie,
 Thanks for the information. 
Here is a closer shot of the casting marks, not very clear but has AF as well as 9E.
  The earlier sports heads didn't have the patent cast in only the later Nippy/Speedy ones. 
Your block without the chromidium mark does it have a number at the bottom of the valve chest and where is it marked 9E?

.jpg   P1040850.JPG (Size: 88.67 KB / Downloads: 213)  
Hi Robert,
Yes 9E inside the valve chest just left of centre, it has knock in core plugs. It still has the original tulip valves and is + 30 thou.
The Chromidium block also has the 9E cast in the same place but it has a hole in it at the bottom of one cylinder into the valve chest.