The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
side water branch stud extraction
I am about to do this task and a couple of block to head studs as well.
I will be taking it to work to do a Rabbit on a milling machine when it becomes free of work work !!
There is a spark eroder in another workshop but I am not allowed to play with that.
It's probably worth adding that it's worth taking considerable care to get the drill straight and centred - by any means necessary.
Just a quick update for future searchers.
We got drilling and tapping. Without any sort of guide it was a bit hairy, as the drilling did not run perfectly straight, but stepping up slowly in size, and then drifting the remains sideways, we got both out and re-tapped to the original thread with plenty left to hold a replacement stud.
When it comes to head studs clean off the tops of the broken studs if they are projecting to give you a flat face to drill into. Put a head on the remaining studs for location. You then have a good guide for starting to drill into the broken bits. You can start by marking the broken bit centrally using a bit which is just clearance in the guide hole, take the head off to see whether your mark looks central, then put it back so that you can see you are drilling down the centre of the guide hole with a smaller bit, and work up in size as you did for the side water joint. If your mark on the broken stud was not quite central adjust it with a centre punch.
FYI for future searchers - we tried Robert's sensible suggestion with the inlet/exhaust manifold - with mixed results - see my notes in the post on that:
https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p?tid=4836

a potentially neat technique, but we ran in to problems with it.

Best,

James
Carrying on a little off the theme of broken studs, I did get away with welding a lump onto the end of a broken little end bolt where the head had broken off. It seemed to be the only possibility without damaging the piston. There is no tension in the bolt when the head is off, so I unscrewed it by means of a miniature Mole wrench clamped on my lump of weld.
I have drilled out broken head studs in a similar way to Roberts method but used sleeves inserted into the stud holes in the head. These take up the slack and ensure you get it central on the broken stud. Details of these sleeves are in the Woodward manual. There is one for a small pilot hole and one to remove the broken stud.

John Mason,
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
For more drastic problems or when it goes pear shaped     then you install a repair plate like this which has provision for a zinc sacrificial anode.