The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
seized spark plugs RP
I was taught hand tight + a quarter turn.
(15-08-2020, 08:47 AM)Charles P Wrote:
(14-08-2020, 10:52 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: If you've ever tried to remove an exhaust manifold lambda sensor plug that's been fitted/tightened when it's cold but the manifold is hot you'll have experienced a similar problem. Try removing the plugs with the engine hot.

Steve

I don't recall that item ever being on the factory parts list?

c

They're certainly on the parts list from the factory my Ulster and Trials Chummy were made in, Charles Wink

Steve
I never install plugs without copper slip grease.. and only hand tight with a 6" lever. If the compression washes are still sound you should have no leak problem. If they are not sound you should fit new plugs. Getting the engine warm should help free them off.
[/quote]

They're certainly on the parts list from the factory my Ulster and Trials Chummy were made in, Charles Wink

Steve
[/quote]

Mine has one too. Furthermore I do believe the Austin of someone with more money and sense than I have has one per cylinder. So it must be right.
Alan Fairless

Steve
[/quote]

Mine has one too. Furthermore I do believe the Austin of someone with more money and sense than I have has one per cylinder. So it must be right.
[/quote]

The factory that built mine made the anachronistic error of making the blanking plug by soldering a 1931 halfpenny onto a shortened spark plug. I fear that it's ruined my chance of the Mille Miglia.
In case anyone can still see this thread - many thanks for the tips. In the end the 'longer bar' was the solution that worked but the plug threads were very blunted and the new plug only went in with some reluctance. All working fine now but I wonder how long my head is for this world?
Thanks again everyone
John
John, you can get little jobbies for cleaning up spark plug female threads. A useful tool! e.g:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht261-s...gLZ9PD_BwE
When working in the breakdown industry it always surprised me that some spark plugs unscrewed themselves months after being put in. And the engine makes a heck of a din. Always satisfying to just screw it back in and send the customer on his/her way.