The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RK saloon screen sealing
My RK has a significant gap "twixt wind and water " which is filled  (sort of) with a square section  crumbly sponge. Unlikely to be  original! The gap is at least half an inch.  What should be used?? The gap is not adjustable. And now we have rain....didn't matter recently! 
David
Hi David

I am not sure what was originally used but I used a curved rubber section sandwiched behind a 1/2 round aluminium bead screwed to the wooden top rail.  Sorry I don't have a picture of the seal in place but this gives you some idea.  The leg of the rubber is cut off and the bowed section fits tight against top of the windscreen section.  

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for prompt reply!
Does it go down the uprights & over the scuttle? That is where I have the biggest gap.....? not on the top hinge.
D
Hi Again David

No that is just the seal at the top of the windscreen.  I’ve used a round rubber section (about 3/8” diameter) glued to the surround for the uprights and scuttle.  On my car there is a piece of wood shaped to the scuttle profile. There is a rebate Next to the frame and this carries the round profile quite well. The windscreen frame pinches the rubber quite well although I’m a bit wary of tightening the acorn fasteners too tightly for fear of cracking the glass.

Cheers

Howard
Is the RK screen like the RN? The second photo shows a brass replacement section and the first shows the seal which slides into it which is available from the Seven Workshop
.jpg   0RM6.DIM__3000001__.jpg (Size: 14.05 KB / Downloads: 125)
.jpg   709 section.jpg (Size: 11.28 KB / Downloads: 125)
I don't think so Dave....the screen is top hinged and has a brass/ plated square section frame. My problem is that when hinged down and secured with two large plated thumbscrews, there is a gap between the screen frame and the body aperture. It looks as if there should be a 
simple (!) square seal on the uprights and maybe a curved "wiping" seal along the bottom.
Howard I think your idea of a round seal on the uprights is a good one...my gap may be over 3/8" though -I will measure it better! and then a seal similar to that on the bottom of ,for example, a Chummy screen may do the job...I think I have some left over to experiment.
David
        When I refitted my repaired RK windscreen the Rubber seal I used was: RM19 from Vintage Car parts (Paul Beck). I put the flat bit behind the steel screen fixing frame then put the wood screws through the frame and the rubber. The curly bit is pushed back when the window is closed. I cut a bit out of the very bottom ( about one inch or so) part of the curly bit to allow clearance for the window to shut - a bit of care needed here to keep it snug and the rain out. Take the screws out of the Steel screen mounting strip and make sure there is enough room to allow the thickness of the rubber behind. It all worked well for me and I was pleased with the result and my wife  says: "no water drips now"!

Some pictures for you:

Fantastic information. thank you.
Hours of harmless fun ahead......
Now to make an offering to the rain gods to sty away as I drive up through the Cotswolds on Tuesday afternoon
David