The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Corner
Well, thank you Marcus! Never even thought to try Aunty Google, but you've done the work for me. 
I will make a note of that and make sure I get one when I get tooled up to do these **&$ window sills again.
Regards
AGW
Bob, it sounds like your White Spirit is what we called Meths, methylated spirit. In the UK it was dyed a purplish colour for distinguishing purposes.
The colour in Meths was , as  I was told many years ago, was  an additive to cause vomiting and prevent it being drunk .
Indeed so Peter, added to avoid excise duty on what is essentially alcohol.

Duncan, pardon my ignorance but what is the pointy one at the bottom? I'm torn between depth gauge, carrot gauge, or perhaps propelling pencil!
Scriber and automatic centre punch?
Automatic centre punch with variable pressure. Absolutely invaluable but hard to find these days. I tend to avoid scribers as they break the skin of metal which can lead to failure so mark out with a ballpoint pen.
Isn't it peculiar how different countries use the same name for very different purposes. here in France,
White Spirit Eng = White Spirit Fr (Not esprit blanc).
Paraffin Eng = pétrole Fr
Diesel Eng = Gazoil Fr
Petrol Eng = Essence Fr
Methelated spirit = Alcohol á brûlée's
Surgical spirit = Alcohol Camphre ... to name but a few.
I also use one of those automatic centre punches, I think it was made by Eclipse? I'm currently looking for a 100mm Dial Caliper instead of the 150mm vernier caliper that I currently use as the eyes are having trouble with the vernier and most things I measure are smaller than 100mm
Cheers

Mark
(14-08-2020, 09:32 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I tend to avoid scribers as they break the skin of metal which can lead to failure so mark out with a ballpoint pen.

If you are not already familiar with it, Duncan, you might be interested to read this:

http://www.lotuseleven.org/MilleMiglia.htm

I recommend the whole article but the last paragraph is the relevant bit.

Regards,

Stuart

Regards, Stuart
I think you mean the penultimate paragraph Stuart but yes that is very interesting indeed.

I'm trying to resist adding naughty words to Bob's list of things that don't translate from one language to another. American is rife with such things.