The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brightwells auction
. My limited computerskills don't allow me to put onto the forum a couple of the cars in the catalogue for Brightwells on line auction, ending on Thursday. Sadly, the usual suspects cannot gather at 
Leominster for detailed inspection and a very great deal of talking, but there has been no reference so far on the forum. Lot 28 is a Gordon England claiming a detailed ancestry, and lot 29 a radical looking single seater already attracting vigorous bidding.
https://www.brightwellslive.com/lot/details/485336

.jpg   28_5.jpg (Size: 55.46 KB / Downloads: 739)

https://www.brightwellslive.com/lot/details/485343

.jpg   29_03.jpg (Size: 55.21 KB / Downloads: 737)
I await the result of Lot 32 with interest.

A Rod Yates bodied "1930 Ulster Replica" on a LWB, low frame Ruby chassis with a '31 engine, hydraulic brakes and a V5 from a 1930 saloon???

To quote the catalogue: "will provide huge fun in VSCC competition". I'm sure that it will, when the scrutineers get to it!
Is it my eyesight or are the front wings on the GE Cup Replica a very strange shape?
(11-08-2020, 03:57 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: I await the result of Lot 32 with interest.

A Rod Yates bodied "1930 Ulster Replica" on a LWB, low frame Ruby chassis with a '31 engine, hydraulic brakes and a V5 from a 1930 saloon???

To quote the catalogue: "will provide huge fun in VSCC competition".  I'm sure that it will, when the scrutineers get to it!

Price it as a PVT special with no V5, but probably capable of getting an age related number.

c
(11-08-2020, 04:09 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Is it my eyesight or are the front wings on the GE Cup Replica a very strange shape?

I would say they are sitting to high
The Gordon England is well known and has good provenance. I don't know the Single Seater at all but it does say it's a recent build. They can be notoriously difficult to commission ready for competition but I doubt you could build one for what it'll go for so, perhaps, a good staring point for someone who's keen to have one. The LWB 'Ulster' is OK for the VSCC in principle but as a PVT Special as Charles says. Similar cars in a similar situation have been able to obtain an age related V5 in recent times.

Steve
that single seater sports an ALTA cylinder head which - I thought - was a post war modification.. is that too 'a triviality the VSCC would take issue with' or not??
(12-08-2020, 11:09 PM)Michael D Wrote: that single seater sports an ALTA cylinder head which - I thought - was a post war modification.. is that too 'a triviality the VSCC would take issue with' or not??

The Alta head with the inclined plugs is a vintage head, the plug position having been a necessity when the head was used on motorcycles

Charles
Results show the Gordon England to have gone for £15, 843, such an odd figure that one might assume the bid was in another currency. The single seater fetched £16, 200, whilst the Ulsteroid got up to £13,100. All before premium.