The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Seven ?
I have been restoring a Seven for some time now.
My car a 1936 Ruby Mk2.
Hopefully returning this to the road this year.
Also I have been offered a 1934 RP.
Unfortunately I can’t fund two sevens.
I wish to use the chosen car on a regular basis.
So which to finally end up with ??

PS I live near steep hills.
Regards 
            Tim
That's a difficult one to answer.   An RP is probably the better of the two in some ways.  It is more traditional looking and is lighter than the Ruby but has the benefit of the 4 speed gearbox and 5.25 rear axle.   However, a good Mk 2 Ruby would be quite practical for everyday use.  They are a comfortable and refined little car.  The problem is that they are quite heavy and hill climbing is a rather steady process.
This will divide opinions!

Malcolm's summed it up well. By '34, the RP had a rubber-mounted engine and partial synchromesh, so was nearly as refined as the Ruby.

Given that you've done quite a lot of work on your Ruby, I'd be inclined to finish it and enjoy it for a year or two before moving on to something else.
I agree with Malcolm and Martin, having had both cars and driven many miles in them, I would say complete the Ruby and enjoy it, the Ruby was quite a leap forward over the box and after driving the Ruby the RP will feel quite agricultural by comparison.

Once you’ve driven the Ruby for a few miles, I’m sure someone will be happy to let you drive around in their box, so you can do a comparison.
Have you driven your or any Sevens? Many RPs now have alternative cyl heads, carbs and brakes so performance is much the same`although the 2 brg engine is then notably more harsh. In their day hill gradients were often modest from horse day origins and the roads wound so often forced to a low speed anyway. But hills tend now to be direct and steep....Does not suit Sevens esp if other traffic. 30 mph in 3rd is noisy and faster than many consider prudent.
All good advice.   I would get the Ruby on the road and enjoy it.   It is a strange fact that as you get older and the more time you have been involved with Austin 7's, the more you crave the earlier, more agricultural models.  Possibly the slight loss of hearing with age makes the noise of the earlier cars more acceptable?
I have to admit that whilst I have owned Austin 7's for 46 years, and my first was a rather tired Mk 1 Ruby CRA 212, I have never driven or even been a passenger in a Mk 2 Ruby.
Amongst my small circle of Austin 7 friends we all rate the early SWB steel saloons (RL and RM).
Several owners I know who use their cars on the road quite a bit seemed to start with a late Ruby and then gravitate to an RN or RP and not go back - though one or two have later chosen Pearls. I went from a late Ruby to an AD Chummy for one summer a while back but found this difficult to manage sensibly on the busy roads around the Warrington area - partly because of the reaction of some other road users who appeared to be distracted - so have reverted to the Ruby. I happen to prefer the look of the late Ruby to an RP saloon - but that is just personal taste.
If you’ve been restoring the Ruby for sometime now, it’s a known quantity. The Box Saloon isn’t. For that reason alone I’d tend towards the Ruby.
Alan Fairless
Thanks !
I really enjoyed all the replies.
I will definitely finish the Ruby (if you ever can entirely finish?)

I was half expecting someone to suggest rearranging my life to occupy them both !

PS Martin the roof timber looks great, thanks
Regards
Tim