The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankcase Welding
Hi,
Does anyone know of an expert at welding sand cast crankcases, some one that has the correct heating and welding equipment as well as the skills to do it
I need a hole repairing right over the dipstick, its about 2" diameter.
Its a rare Crankcase so it has to be done right.
I also have a diecast Nippy Crankcase that could do with some welding repairs.

Cheers for any pointers.
Dickie
I've no idea where you are based but Thomas Brown, TB Welding, in Leicester is excellent. I have used him for a crankcase and know the VSCC boys use him.

6 Maidstone Road
Sparkenhoe St, Leicester.
LE2 0BA
Phone : 0116 262 6492.
You could also try EMP Tooling Services, Unit 1, 5 Solent Road, Havant, Hants  PO9 1JH. www.e-m-p.biz.

They laser weld and did an amazing job on a Speedy crankcase. To see them repairing the valve seats of a fixed head vintage Bentley block was amazing. It seemed like at the bottom of deep black cave!
Just dropped one off today at Richard Kimberley near Manningtree, Essex.
Came very highly recommended from people I trust.  I can give you a proper verdict when I pick it up next week.

Charles
Hi folks,
Thank you for your inputs.
I will wait for Charles results.
(13-08-2020, 10:42 PM)dickie65 Wrote: Hi folks,
Thank you for your inputs.
I will wait for Charles results.

Picked up my welded crankcase the other day. Turnaround was very quick, price soothing.
It was a new casting that needed buttering up around the centre cam bearing - pattern deficiency - so wasn't subject to the oily crack problems that can be the scourge of older castings. However, I'd have no fear of taking an older casting to him but I'd be guided by his advice about cleaning out the cracks. He'd been welding magnesium alloy Porsche crankcases the day before and was recommended to me by two vintage car friends and the foreman of my trusted engine rebuilders, who sees a wide varieties of work.

https://richardkimberleyservices.co.uk

Charles
I can highly recommend Ollie Mullard at Olliminium. He has repaired several Items for myself and friends including an original Ulster crankcase. Excellent service, turnaround time, value and quality work too!

https://www.olliminium.co.uk
+1 for Ollie. He really is rather special when it comes to aluminium welding. And he‘s an Austin 7 owner (well his Wife is actually).

Steve
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the input.
I have sent out a couple of e-mails but have only had one reply so far.
I have been researching Lazer Welding as an option which could be interesting.
Laser welding is amazing and very effective...but boy - Expensive!!