The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Ambient Temperature
In other words, it boils!
Michael D: As I said, I don't have a problem so won't be looking at dry sumping my A7 any time soon! In my case I'm running a 6 pint sump and for now all I plan to do is run with a little less oil. I can only guess Austin conceived the Nippy for high speed 'endurance' type use. Yes multigrades do provide improved lubrication below normal running temperature, however running perpetually below design temp for the oil means lubrication is non-optimal and there can be issues with moisture accumulation. As I don't actually suffer tangible effects from any of these perceived problems I'm personally not in a rush to 'fix' them.

Bob: I quite agree, though I think supermarket multigrade alone is quite sufficient improvement for the needs of most A7 users.
"In other words, it boils!"

Tut, Tut, Malcolm. As the OP wasn't aware that petrol boiled, I thought that he might appreciate "the how and why" on the subject.
Thank you for confirming that petrol boils.
The explanation was great too, I just have to work out if its the slow running mixture that overheated the engine or the radiator/block channels!
I am attempting to build a 1931 coil engine from scratch and today was removing the bolts that had sheared in the crankcase. I was impressed with the easy-out set from Screwfix, all out without breaking the tool.

Chris
Hi Chris

It will not be your slow running mixture.

Almost for certain it will be the rad core.

A radiator expert should be able to look at it and tell you.