The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Seven with a Beehive
Farmyards were my dads speciality.
Hi still have a meths burner, used to carry it on the outside of my rucksack when youth hostelling. Meths was kept in a small medicine bottle enough for a few lightings, a little kettle and away you went. Even did baked beans in a very small pan, also carried on outside of rucksack, must have sounded like a tinker as we walked all over the most beautiful Yorkshire Dales, most fitting as August 1st is Yorkshire Day. Mike Hobson p.s. known as God's Own County
Ah but I graduated to an Optimus petrol stove. A truly malignant device which still looks threateningly at me from its shelf in the garage.
Alan Fairless
We were melting lead on an Optimus when we were kids and found out the "reaction" between damp flower pots and molten lead. My brother received a shower of hot lead all over his new pullover - Aunty wasn't too pleased.
    Very glad I clicked on this thread - Geraldine as the car is known, is still very much up and running, although looking quite different nowadays!
Excellent news, Rupert. Now all you have to do is restore her back to her Hong Kong Taxi look!
Hi Andrew

I overlooked what women know! We now need a sweepstake on the date. Colour photos not so common in the 60s.
It is a charming contemporary photo, not the sort to be dug out of motor mags or old adverts. The intervening history could be interesting. Like so much else the cuppa seems to have succumbed to fashion. Now seen as cheapskate by many. Everyone flocks to a same as cafe. Seventy plus years on I can clearly remember cuppa stops in unusual places; including a rural railway "station". I still have the Primus but sadly my son has not inherited the skill or interest to make prickers, maintain the jet, leather washers etc and not too confident with the start up pyrotechnics .
Now it is all coffee shops and drive in McDonalds  (or was here before stage 3 ) with flat white et al !
wasn't "Bouffant" the preferred description??
Ms Wikipedia (not always right) says:

" It originated as one of a variety of elaborately teased and lacquered versions of "big hair" that developed from earlier pageboy and bouffant styles. It was developed in 1960 by Margaret Vinci Heldt of Elmhurst, Illinois, owner of the Margaret Vinci Coiffures in downtown Chicago, who won the National Coiffure Championship in 1954, and who had been asked by the editors of Modern Beauty Salon magazine to design a new hairstyle that would reflect the coming decade.[2] She originally modeled it on a fez-like hat that she owned. In recognition of her achievement, Cosmetologists Chicago, a trade association with 60,000 members, created a scholarship in Heldt’s name for creativity in hairdressing.[2] The beehive style was popular throughout the 1960s, particularly in the United States and other Western countries, and remains an enduring symbol of 1960s kitsch."