The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More saucy Austin Seven
SAAB 96 column change as well. Also clouds of two stroke exhaust prevented anyone seeing what was going on inside the car. Comment provided by a friend, of course.
Citroen traction? BSA Scout? bench or close seats with umbrella gear shift
(28-07-2020, 01:35 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: What about the Italians? mid-fifties Fiat 1100 and Lancia Appia with either a bench seat or close-fitting individual seats, column change and umbrella handbrake anyone?
So long as they have soft suspension......which reminds me: a colleague from long ago said he drove off with his wife one frosty morning trying to rub out the footprint that had appeared on the misted-up windscreen. Naughty boy, Derek!
I had the ultimate passion wagon in the 1970s - a Citroen DS21 Pallas. Unfortunately by that time I was happily married, apparently.
So there I was, an hormonal teenager, trying to 'cope' with the enormous transmission tunnel of a Triumph Vitesse 2 litre, when I remembered the column-change Austin Somerset languishing in the garage... Revelation!
1952 Hillman Californian. Bench seat, column change... ;o)
My father had a Vauxhall Victor circa 1960s and used to let myself and my brother borrow it. That also was bench seat and column change. My father having found some smallish dirty marks on the roof lining said to my brother, next time you take that girlfriend of your out in my car get her to take her stiletto heels off.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(29-07-2020, 06:49 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: So there I was, an hormonal teenager, trying to 'cope' with the enormous transmission tunnel of a Triumph Vitesse 2 litre, when I remembered the column-change Austin Somerset languishing in the garage... Revelation!
A group of us "A" level students clubbed together to buy an Austin Somerset van. You could really " stretch out " in the back.
1951 Vauxhall Velox. 6-cylinder engine (one of Alan Clark's favourite cars), column-change and quite quick for its day. Ten years later and laid up in the garage, it seemed even quicker with company in the back....
(28-07-2020, 09:37 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Close front seat, with a transmission tunnel, long handbrake lever and wiggly gear stick? Now the front arrangements in a 2CV are a  very different matter.

yes but the wiggly gear stick is delightfully near the stocking top — useful when needing an emergency fan belt.