The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian-made closed-centre A7 wheel
No, but I supplied replacements to someone who did and gave me the information I posted earlier in the thread.
(31-07-2020, 01:09 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Interesting that copy Best & Lloyd  pumps were mentioned as I had exactly the same experience. The pump looked good and was reasonably well finished but did not work due to the lack of a one-way valve.  I had the devil's own job convincing the seller that the pump did not work without a non-return ball bearing/spring in a fitting that wasn't there. The plunger went up and down moving the oil in the barrel but was unable to keep and transfer a fresh charge past the leather washer on the down-stroke. 6 emails later and the threat of a Paypal dispute eventually convinced him to accept a return and full refund.
I actually emailed the seller and told him, in detail, what was needed - I'd even managed to source - incredibly - all the required parts as NOS. Did I email him pictures with dimensions - there was no response.
thank you R,

your customers experience, seams to be the only true one answered to on here so far.

when an item is being put down, its nice to know who has experience, and who is just giving an opinion.

i dont like the fact that the spokes are in the wrong position, rookie mistake.

but ive only really heard one complaint circulating.

perhaps im closer on price differences, and only one person has ever bought the overseas wheels. everyone else have used uk suppliers.

thanks tony

for tony griffiths.

i notice you started this thread.

did you actually buy any of the wheels yourself.

thanks tony
(01-08-2020, 11:34 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: thank you R,

your customers experience, seams to be the only true one answered to on here so far.

when an item is being put down, its nice to know who has experience, and who is just giving an opinion.

i dont like the fact that the spokes are in the wrong position, rookie mistake.

but ive only really heard one complaint circulating.

perhaps im closer on price differences, and only one person has ever bought the overseas wheels. everyone else have used uk suppliers.

thanks tony

for tony griffiths.

i notice you started this thread.

did you actually buy any of the wheels yourself.

thanks tony
No. I was just curious about them. I do have some experience of Indian-made items from both the machine-tool and motorcycle worlds and wondered what the verdict was. From correspondence with people who have a wide experience of sourcing machines and components from overseas, they say that, in many respects, India is now similar to how Taiwan was in the 1960s and 1970s, with many small companies emerging that make a huge variety of items - the standards of which can vary alarmingly. No doubt things will improve for - as you pointed out - wages in Taiwan have improved enormously along with the quality of their products - and it's no longer the low-cost source it once was.
There's nothing inherently wrong with goods made in India. Those who think so may be shocked to know how much of a typical modern car sold in the UK is sourced from India, China, Brazil, Indonesia and anywhere else labour rates are cheap. As others have observed, the whole economic landscape is changing; there is an emerging middle class in India pushing up prices, and then automakers will be looking to see who's next in the low labour rates game. Throughout my career in the car industry we've chased after the cheapest locations to source components, it shifts every few years.

What is however necessary is oversight from experts in manufacturing and quality to bring parts up to the expectations of the European market, left to themselves Indian makers will produce the standards expected by the domestic market, and those are not high. There are quite a few A7's knocking around in India and I wonder if perhaps someone came up with this product with the home market in mind, then looked for opportunities to sell elsewhere. Even with quality issues resolved I'm not sure the market is really there (in Europe) at that price level; though there is a certain attraction in being able to buy assembled wheels 'off the shelf'.
100% KC

you word it so much better than me.

as i sed, thats why i us a UK agent. that already supplied parts for mini, MG, 1980s toyota. etc etc etc. 

the supply of new parts is hard to do though. as the negative of overseas manufacture, is QUANTITY. i recently had a quote come back for NEW 1 1/4 brake shoes with linnings fitted. £5.65 each inc vat, all import costs, and delivered to my door. thats about the same price as a set of linnings over here.

QUANTITY, 5000. aprox cost £28.250

for a car that on average is 90 years old, and most get very little use.

the result, i dont think id ever sell them all in my lifetime. and my pocket couldnt justify it Huh

never mind, ill keep scratching around for OLD CORRODED ones. that sell for £10 to £20 each.

tony.
(01-08-2020, 12:44 PM)Chris KC Wrote: There's nothing inherently wrong with goods made in India. Those who think so may be shocked to know how much of a typical modern car sold in the UK is sourced from India, China, Brazil, Indonesia and anywhere else labour rates are cheap.
The manufacture of these parts is subject to strict quality control by the car makers and the use of state-of-the-art CNC machine tools - after all, they would be liable if a steering arm snapped or a gearbox broke up and locked the wheels. What we are talking about here is something entirely different - backstreet engineering shops scraping a living. It's impossible to compare the two - after all, we have the same bodgers here as well.
As I posted earlier:

As with Chinese manufacture there must be proper quality control of all items- a number of reputable companies have set up there - SKF for one - but with a proper quality control .

Working conditions will steadily improve and the costs will steadily rise - remember Japan and Taiwan.

I must be old - I can remember when Japan was producing cheap knock offs !
Hi All

This thread has reminded me of a visit I made to the Khyber pass many years ago, just after the Afghan war.  There is a small town half way up the pass called Landi Kotal.  It is renown as the weapons centre of the region.  All along the Main Street small shops and workshops display their wares.  Rocket launchers, AK45s etc etc.  All copies made at the back of the shop or in full view on the street.

I’m not sure given the comments about quality on this thread that I would have liked to fire one!

Cheers

Howard
Are you familiar with the 'Forgotten Weapons' YouTube channel Howard?
There has been at least one segment about Khyber Pass firearms, and yes, your reluctance to fire one would seem to be amply vindicated.