The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Under £100 paint job
Hullo! Thank you for the words of encouragement everyone!

I managed to get the fist coat of cellulose on the body today, ignoring the little bits along the seems I need to get at with a smaller brush she's not looking too bad! (I did that after this photo was taken in the house while I was on a tea brake haha!)

Not too bad at the moment, this paint drys far too fast had to work very quickly with it.

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_20200722_203216_494.jpg (Size: 82.35 KB / Downloads: 274)
I’ve brush painted 2 cars using yacht enamel, the first turned out extremely well and I was very pleased, the second - same garage, same paint etc was not nearly so good with brush marks and ‘dry’ areas. The difference was simply down to the time of year. The first was done in winter with a low overnight temp, the next was in summer, I guess the temp difference was at least 10C.
You live and learn!
Hi 12jSlater,

Glad you started this thread. I will need to paint my special, so found all the contributions really useful. I'm tending towards the Craftmaster paints option at the moment, but can see how this would easily stretch beyond your £100 budget.

Looks like you are doing a great job, but here's a word of reassurance (hopefully) - Even if the paint job goes wrong, it will not take away the enjoyment of driving your Austin 7.

Hope you have lots of fun with it.
Colin
With oil based paints the addition of Owatrol Oil may help increase the wet edge time and eliminate brush marks?

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/...gLJHvD_BwE
Bruce, yes Owatrol is good stuff but use with discretion (once added you can't take it out again!) It's not a blanket cure for poor technique of course.

And John yes very much the same experience - with Craftmaster enamel I reckon 18 degrees is round about the 'sweet spot'.