The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 speed RN clutch
I have a friend with two 3 speed RNs, one was dry stored for from 1960 to 2005 and is no bother the other had a 4 speed engine and gearbox since changed for a 3 speed engine and gearbox which has a recurring problem of not being able to disengage the clutch after about 500 miles. Now this guy has run 3 speed Sevens for decades and rebuilt numerous clutches. He's phoned me a few times over this problem and I'm running out of ideas. He's fitted new toggle levers adjusted to  5/16" from the bell housing face with grub screws under the fulcrum. He machined a spacer to fit in the clutch release  bearing toggle carrier however as it wasn't hardened it lasted 500 miles. I asked if he's checked the length of the centre plate spline versus the depth of hole in the first motion shaft. The clutch pedal cotter is fitted from above. He's fitted new toggle lever pillars and these are free in the clutch cover. Help.
Loosen the gearbox off the back of the bell housing - if the clutch works, fit suitable spacers.
I believe the 'missing spline' spline is longer than the 'full spline' spline.
Jim
It is, although in my experience not all of them. If you get the wrong one it can cause the clutch to drag.
Alan Fairless
(22-07-2020, 03:28 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Loosen the gearbox off the back of the bell housing - if the clutch works, fit suitable spacers.
daughters has spacers between the back plate and flywheel!
Another phone call and the mystery is solved, clutch pedal loose on it's shaft-doh.
A classic case of assuming the problem is more serious than it is!  We have all wasted hours looking for major problems that turn out to be something and nothing.  I had the engine out of my saloon several times and changed the gearbox thinking each time that the latter was duff when I finally discovered that the rivets on the clutch centre plate were loose.   I call it character building!