The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light Car and Cycle Car
presume you scavenged this from ebay last week when it was listed?    
No, I had not seen that. Although I do try to keep an eye on Ebay, I'm afraid I'm not there all the time, every day. I do know that there will be stiff competition for this edition and the Archive my not be sufficiently funded to beat off the opposition. From an Archive perspective, that image doesn't really help. I need to get an original and digitise it appropriately. At least now I know the date of the copy and the image on the cover, which is much more helpful in spotting one in future...

Thanks for highlighting it...
Hugh, I have that issue; it was amongst the magazines you borrowed a year or so ago. If you didn't digitise it then, it's available any time you want.
(21-07-2020, 07:36 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Hugh, I have that issue; it was amongst the magazines you borrowed a year or so ago. If you didn't digitise it then, it's available any time you want.
Hi Mike, mail it to me and I'll restore all the pages.
Thank you both, you have come to my rescue again...

I have to be careful scanning such publications, often the staples are in a rusty state and have affected the paper round them so as to compromise the condition of the whole magazine. Sadly, I don't have access to a scanning system that allows a book (whatever) to be copied when held at a 'semi-open' position, so I have to take great care...
Living near Stratford upon Avon I am close to much of the test route. I will plot it and see how much still exists (bit busier than Dec 1922 I expect!) Certainly Birdlip & Broadway hills will be interesting! Not sure about seeking our the slippery and bumpy roads though!
DGH
Hugh - have emailed you direct 16 pages of A7 material from LC&C, dating from 1922 to 1924.  Please let me know if they go through okay.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
I was going to suggest the collection from Colin Pitt of Unique Motor Books but Bill has kindly provided most everything.
The National Library in Wellington has a periodicals collection which contains, for example, runs of the Austin Magazine.
They could well have issues of Light Cat and Cyclecar which could be available for copying if it was known which issues are sought.
Thanks all for the offers. As I understand it, Austin had an advert in pretty much every issue of the Light Car and Cyclecar from 1922 to 1938. I gather that some had colour covers as well. I have a particular interest in a copy date August 22nd, 1924. All of these adverts would be of interest for a number of reasons. If people come across copies and would like to help the Archive, images scanned in 'Tif' format and at 300dpi would be best for subsequent manipulation and publication. If scanning isn't an option, a high resolution digital photograph is a good substitute. Though care must be taken to ensure the camera is parallel to the page to ensure a perfect image. Likewise, the page has to be perfectly flat, with no 'curl' into the spine.

Bill - your offer is gratefully received but (as yet) not your emails. I will send you an email to ensure we have contact established.

As a general point, I would like to use some of these images as part of the Centenary display and, as such, would like to keep them 'private' for the time being. They will, of course, be published on the Archive web site in the fullness of time. As the scanned images may be quite large, it may be better to transfer them using the likes of 'Dropbox' rather than attempting to attach them to emails... That can be arranged with anyone who is able to provide any image(s).

Your help is much appreciated, by me and the wider A7 community as a permanent addition to the Archive.

Hugh