The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insurance help needed
The insurance rates for old cars seem, to me, very reasonable.
It always amazes me, when you see how so many of them drive, that companies take on any male under 25 years of age (although I have, I must confess, met one or two female drivers who could give the lads a run for their money....).
Hugh,
I have breakdown cover for my modern car which also  covers any car my partner or I am driving. 

Given the number of questions insurance companies ask I find it hard to understand how a simple yes/no to "Do you require breakdown cover?" would add to administration costs.

The fact that RH breakdown cover includes Europe makes me wonder even more  how much something I will never use is costing. 

Perhaps compared to the number of A7s insured, the number used regularly and the even fewer that ever go abroad is so small the additional breakdown cost is not worth worrying about.

My guess:-
2,500 insured.
250 used regularly.
25 go abroad.
(20-07-2020, 11:54 PM)daveg Wrote: Hugh,
I have breakdown cover for my modern car which also  covers any car my partner or I am driving. 

Given the number of questions insurance companies ask I find it hard to understand how a simple yes/no to "Do you require breakdown cover?" would add to administration costs.

The fact that RH breakdown cover includes Europe makes me wonder even more  how much something I will never use is costing. 

Perhaps compared to the number of A7s insured, the number used regularly and the even fewer that ever go abroad is so small the additional breakdown cost is not worth worrying about.

My guess:-
2,500 insured.
250 used regularly.
25 go abroad.

My guess
2,500 insured
2,300 used from time to time
5 go abroad
In which case the European cover angle is fabulous thing for an insurer to package.
High perceived value combined with low probability of claiming.

C
Tony if you take you insurance out as normal, then organise with RH to "lay them up" i.e. not be using them.
You will get a part refund on your premium.
Yes, I agree with Charles, European breakdown is fabulous...
If so around 2495 owners are seriously missing out.
Well, RH have bought one of my cars back from France 3 times in 20 years and once from John O'Groats back to Chichester! All of which must have cost a fortune? All with excellent service too, no complaints at all. So I can only assume that the rest of you are subsidising me somewhat?
Just a pity that I cannot get any service out of RH at the moment due to the Covid game, or have they gone to pot?
Of course, if you only go to the pub in your car once a year, then you don't need breakdown cover!
If so around 2495 owners are seriously missing out.

Hi. 
Just a thought but surely this is a further justification for driving our cars a lot more so owners don't miss out on getting value for money for the insurance money paid out and, more importantly, missing out on the pleasure everyone can have from driving the cars we own.

Best wishes,
Nick
Good point Nick, in addition to getting value out of your insurance, I have found that a regularly driven Seven is a happy Seven...those left in the garage deteriorate!