The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DK4 distributor overhaul sources?
With all the hoohah over the electronic unit, I picked up a spare original auto-advance distributor today thinking of getting it ready as a spare. And of course, it's all a bit ropey.

I know Distributor Doctor has lots of stuff, but has anyone found cunning ruses for replacement of bits to the same spec, or other suppliers of the overhaul (rather than service) items?

Online I found  "What I have found is that the springs out of the Distributor fitted to the Series 2 Morris Minor Distributor can be pressed into service quite effectively in an Austin Seven". 

Is this a well known fact, or do others have their own recommendations for such things? 
Mr RP came with a Lucas DK4 distributor which eventually I removed due to wear issues and constant misfiring. I now run a Bosch supplied by Willie McKenzie and it has given faultless service for a number of years. It has the Dunford patented advance limiting mod on the bob weights.
ok, but specifically interested in just the DK4 - and keeping em going as cheaply as possible!
I have to admit I bought a new electronic DK4 mainly with the intention of trying to 'downgrade' it to a mechanical unit. A lot of the issues people report with originals are simply due to the fact that they are worn out. It looks to me as though much of the brand new unit should be backwards-compatible?
that is quite interesting as I found myself looking at the similarities of advance springs from Ruaridh's pictures of the electronic unit innards. It odd that things like these springs haven't been made as a trader project.... or perhaps they have in the past?
(18-11-2017, 01:56 PM)JonE Wrote: that is quite interesting as I found myself looking at the similarities of advance springs from Ruaridh's pictures of the electronic unit innards. It odd that things like these springs haven't been made as a trader project.... or perhaps they have in the past?
Hi JonE,

I had a phase of refurbishing and tuning DK4's a few years back. My experiences are on the Speedex website, here. Even with careful fettling I suspect it'll never be as good as a remanufactured DK4, a proper Bosch or more a modern Lucas. I've fitted a Reliant one with success as mentioned in other threads. That said, the one I removed worked faultlessly for me, it just had a bit of timing scatter when I waved a strobe light at it.

The A7 distributor is quite unusual as it revolves the opposite way to most DK4's. If you're swopping bits about bear this in mind. It's not complicated, just work your way through trying to eradicate as far as possible all the wobbles and sloppiness. I've never tried different springs, selecting a pair that haven't been stretched or mutilated from my stock of bits. I guess a bit of judicious adjustment with a small pair of pliers could tighten up a bent spring so it just grips the post and little brass pivot block?

Hope of use, Dave
I had a reconditioned DK4A from the Distributor Doctor just before VSCC Prescott Long course this year after struggling with a replica bosch 009 for some time. The car now runs better than ever!

Peter
I fitted new springs supplied by (I think) the Seven Workshop about 5 or 6 years ago. Might be worth a call and well worth the few pennies they cost. 

Disappointingly on another DK4A two new steel drive gears (fitted by the distributor doctor) failed within just a few miles. A good second-hand replacement has subsequently been fine. Also check carefully new cams from the distributor doctor - two were found to be machined 10 thou off-centre and had to be discarded.

Eliminating end float is relatively easy and will improve things, as will making sure the rotor arm is tight on the shaft.

Peter.
(18-11-2017, 05:07 PM)Speedex750 Wrote: My experiences are on the Speedex website, here
Hope of use, Dave

Funnily enough, I came across that online before posting the thread... and it IS very informative thankyou.
I've just come across some NOS correct springs and notice that some originals seem tight to the post/toggles (almost looking like they couldn't be unhooked) whereas the replacements in the Lucas bag are obviously hooked for easy replacement.
has anyone tried asking Accuspark whether they can supply springs I wonder? Peter; I don't think Austin 7 Workshop do them anymore from looking at the website. On anyone elses' lists?

Another thought... anyone know what the 'other' hole on the toggle is for? I wondered whether it would enable some tightening of a loose spring... but it pulls in the wrong angle.