The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 owners not being friends
As I have stated before I do not wish to mislead. And despite my age I am still keen to learn. So instead of off hand dismissal if anyone cares to go through line my line, apply a true/false test and point out specific errors I would be very interested. (I did state “half stroke” when I meant “half rev”!)

Whilst some experts may pass gems of advice to associates, their knowledge is not always made available through this site to the many newcomers working in relative isolation worldwide. Or advice is not very relevant to ordinary Sevens driven reasonably, probably the territory of most newcomers, the future of the movement.

If my responses are somewhat condensed it is because more complete  explanations drew yawns and other sarcasm from old hands to whom nothing Seven is new.
Speaking as someone who has driven Austin Sevens most of my life, and as a professional automotive engineer of 30 years' standing, half of what I read on internet forums (not only talking about A7F) is utter bollocks. It is the nature of the medium that you have to sift through the replies & make your choice. It's just as often the guys who can quote textbooks who spout rubbish as the 'newbies'. I am by no means exempt myself - wouldn't be the first time I'd tried to help with an opinion & thought better of it later. Any given technical problem has a host of potential solutions, depending on the needs of the user and other factors; and the beauty of the A7 is they tend to keep on going in spite of what owners do to them as much as because of it. Differences of opinion are inevitable - I still have a letter my Dad received from a former editor of the 'grey mag' back in the day, who was earnestly trying to damp down a row involving someone whose name is nowadays revered, who was well known not to 'suffer fools gladly'. Of one thing I am quite certain - if we start shouting members down and rubbishing their opinions then we will all end up the poorer for it. Manners, please.
'The beauty of the A7 is they tend to keep on going in spite of what owners do to them'.

I love that line Chris and hope you won't mind if I purloin it for use in A7 publicity in future.
Be my guest!
Not only that, it's very often the contentious statement that results in fruitful further discussion.
(19-11-2017, 11:34 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Not only that, it's very often the contentious statement that results in fruitful further discussion.

I've just read this thread, and pardon my "newness" to the forum...I laughed heartily at Alan's response, for correct me if I'm wrong...I think he clearly respected Bob's view, and his remark was meant to be "tongue in cheek"! I think his response was designed to elicit a bit of a laugh, second guessing that some might find it rude!

Many of us have a habit perhaps of a quick response rather than take time to respond if a response is required.... of course, I'm not referring to Alan, though I have no doubt that I'm just as guilty!
I get the sense that any response that can be interpreted negatively or positively is hard to discern as to the poster's intent just from the written statement. This is why smilies  have become  a way of telling us what the intent was.

I would like to think that the reply in question was tongue in cheek and not meant negatively.

Smile 
Stephen
When I saw Alan's response I found it annoying and unnecesary. It never ocurred to me that it might be tonque in cheek. I hoped that 'admin' would remove the remark, and hope they do, soon.
(21-11-2017, 10:46 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: When I saw Alan's response I found it annoying and unnecesary. It never ocurred to me that it might be tonque in cheek. I hoped that 'admin' would remove the remark, and hope they do, soon.

The two correspondents in question do not seem to be overly concerned about the comment so I fail to understand why so much time is being directed toward discussing this.

Back to regular and interesting information on running and restoring Austin Sevens.

Cheers, Tony.
(22-11-2017, 06:18 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(21-11-2017, 10:46 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote: When I saw Alan's response I found it annoying and unnecesary. It never ocurred to me that it might be tonque in cheek. I hoped that 'admin' would remove the remark, and hope they do, soon.

The two correspondents in question do not seem to be overly concerned about the comment so I fail to understand why so much time is being directed toward discussing this.

Back to regular and interesting information on running and restoring Austin Sevens.

Cheers, Tony.

Indeed, well said....the "apologists" or those for whom "political correctness" is a daily mantra, should simply pipe down (ha ha)....a forum is an exchange for provocative views, please let it continue....up the revolution, come on the republic....exit for brexit....blimey chaps, I'm also being political, mea culpa!

Arthur