The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Fabric Couplings: The Good and the bad
Hi Alan
Yes I have. Basically  made a split pulley same outer diameter as the original inner made to fit the new propshaft.
It works a treat. 
I can send you a picture if needed.
With regard to British industry I have to agree to an extent with Ian. I used to buy sheet pewter from a well-run company in Birmingham, good product and good service. The company was bought out by a large bullion dealer, and asset stripped.
The marvellous sheet-rolling mill which had been in place in Brum for 120 years was shipped to the new production unit and that was the end. It could not be set up correctly overnight as the "bean counters" had assumed and it produced banana shaped sheets which were unsaleable. After 18 months of "no material available" they accepted that the machine should not have been removed from its 120 year bedded-in home and gave up.
The only material of a similar quality I can now buy comes from Italy. In January I'm going to have to pay VAT on the import from Europe as we have decided to give up "seamless" trading and, as we hardly make any materials any more, the prospect is a bit depressing.
As they say in Brum "If it ai' bost, dai' fix it"
Hi Nick, yes please a photo would be a big help.

Alan
Alan Fairless
Hi Winston,

I like your comment on prices.

And with most of it, I can't disagree.

I don't think suppliers are obsessed with keeping prices low. BUT at least one eye has to be kept on IF I MAKE IT IN THAT QUALITY AT THAT PRICE. will it sell.

I've told many people at the stall that sucking through tongues over prices does NOT make it cheaper. It pushes the manufacturer one of two ways. One is to lower the price along with the quality. Or in my case. STOP making it altogether. That's why I don't supply things like hydraulic backplates anymore.

With the fabric coupling, I've had reports from customers for many years now on how shorter life they have. And fitting problems.

First off in the items defence, I'll say its better to be able to buy one that lasts 12 months, than not be able to buy one at all.

Solving the problem may be alot harder for the supplier. If as Ian suggest the UK manufacture and quality has dropped to what's being supplied.

The other option to raise the quality is to go overseas, (sounds easy). Problem is you then have to seriously raise the quantity.

And with so many of us converting to splicer props. Whether new or reconditioning the original. Can a cherished supplier warrant 1,000 high quality higher priced fabric couplings. That last 20 years on the car. They would probably only sell 100 over a 20 year period.

Not an easy one, tony.
Here you go Alan - I hope these are helpful.

Alan - The Running diameter of the new Pulley is of course the same as the original pulley
Thanks. That seems it wii do the trick.
Alan Fairless
Nice one nick.

I offered on here last year to do a small batch, as I needed some for myself.  but it wasn't taken up. So I just had the 5 made for my own cars.

Winston,

I've just checked in the shed. I have some old stock couplings if you need them.

They have been fitted before, but show little ware.

I always save a few, as I still have 3 cars on original props.

Including the super sports, took a family member out in the super sports yesterday. The original type coupling was fine at 60mph. As it has been for the last 30 years.

Thanks tony.
For what little my comment is worth, I fitted a new fabric joint from Seven Workshops in February last year. It has so far done over 7000 miles with no issues and looks to be in fine condition.
I've done about 15,000 on my last fabric coupling (and still ok). When I bought it, David Cochrane pointed out that the smaller metal plates improved the life. The bigger plates left very little fabric in between them, so not so flexible.

Tony makes the most important point - that a fabric coupling that lasts 12 months is better than none at all. We are for ever in the debt of our cherished suppliers.

Thanks,
Colin
I agree on everything with everyone! I am very aware that a 12 month coupling is way better than no coupling. I am simply using this community to find out if i have any other options beyond my new, same-as-before spare, or fitting the not too bad second hand one that came when i changed the prop for one of the correct length! I think i'll try the secondhand one, and note the mileage & date.....W