The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with an ammeter for a box
morning all, I’m not brilliant with electrics so I need to ask for your help please.

The original ammeter pictured on the right has a damaged rim and broken glass but the one on the left is in good shape but is an inductive one (I think) the question is, can I use it and would anyone know how?

I’m guessing the wire loops through the hoop and goes to the dash lamp like the original.

I have never used one, I think you are right and a single turn of wire goes through the hole.

Easy enough to try with an odd bit of extra wire, without fitting to the dash.
You are correct Ivor, loop through and then connect as normal.
Thanks fellas, I can get the dash wired up now, that’s great
The induction type were fitted to Rubies and are far safer as there is less risk of a detached wire causing a short.

Joining  the ends of the existing wires provides a  good opportunity to insert a 20amp inline fuse into the circuit.

Before you fit it to the car, either experiment with a jury rig or find a reliable source for the correct orientation of the loop so that charge/discharge are on the correct scale

Hope this helps
Thanks David, I knew I’d seen this type before and as my box saloon is a car for driving, I don’t mind the wrong gauge...I wondered whether not there was a right and a wrong way to run the loop, I’m not sure how I’ll jury rig something, I think I’ll just have to guess and if it goes the wrong way, take the dash out again and change it!
David's suggestion of fitting a 20A fuse is very sensible - hopefully that will blow (c.50p) rather than your expensive ammeter. It's best to fit the fuse fairly close to the battery.
Thanks for the reassurance David, I’ll fit a fuse as suggested (now my tiny brain has worked out what it was supposed to be protecting!)
If you get a short-circuit somewhere in your wiring, the weakest link will break. Often this is your ammeter, which also happens to be the most expensive part of the circuit... That's why I frequently advise people to fit a fuse between the battery and the ammeter.