The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! My Big7 is stuck in 1st gear!
As mentioned before the greater mystery is just how much time do the synchro cones for the other disengaged gear of a hub spend rubbing? There is nothing to prevet the hub migrating. Might explain some of the synchro cone wear and gearbox heating. And why RNs seem to run so freely! Yet even on similar style makes which employ steel on steel cones trouble is very rare.
Although gearboxesa are generally very well made and robust and tend to outlast other major components, the world supply of serviceable synchro cones must be becoming deleted. I have seen ones which have come loose and all the broached splines stripped away.
It is interesting how times have changed. In the 60s I was running my RP in a very hilly city. i decided a 2nd synchro box would make driving easier and commenced to build one up from oddments. As with most amateurs I did not know what was reasonable wear and what not. I did not have a reverse gear entirely fee of pits. I enquired of a wrecker. He was all set to open a box with a sledge hammer so I paid 10/- and acquired it complete. The whole box was excellent. (with gears as robust as the Austin pitting is of little consequence although noisy if severe)
As a engineer that's rebuilt plenty of
syncro gearboxes I think the biggest
Course of faults are due to the drivers
Resting his or her hand on the long
Gear levers
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?