The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I have always wondered ...
'In the days when I traveled to and from Cambridge to Dundee for University I used the hand throttle on the A1. In the winter I could then put my feet on the gearbox for added warmth.'
When I was an apprentice, I used to sometimes cadge a lift home from Night School with a classmate who owned a Model A  truck, a close cousin of the one the Clampett (Beverley Hillbillies) family drove. He always used the hand throttle on the motorway to avoid  getting warm feet, apparently a real issue on the RHD models due to the closeness of the exhaust manifold.
On long distance trips in summer with our RHD '28 Model A, I drive on the hand throttle with my right foot holding the driver's door open against the airflow to try & get the hot air out the cockpit. The brake & clutch pedal get so hot you can feel the heat through the soles of your shoes

Aye
Greig
Monsdonnet - back to your comment that Austin admired American ideas, our friend Herbert was quite friendly with Henry Ford and visiited him on more than a couple of occasions.  And because Stanley Edge got a few ideas from Austin's Hudson, it's possible Stanley suggested the "Gas" on the lever?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz