The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaulieu 1970
(16-09-2020, 10:11 PM)Julian Pennell Wrote: Hi.It was a real Cozett blower. I even have a photo of it I took building the engine.  JRP

If you have a way of scanning it (or even taking a picture of the photo) that would be great.
Austins only appear to have ever had a very small number of No5 Cozettes but many more No4, so it's rare to see. 

Thanks

Charles
Hi Julian. interested in your comments re circular Laystall crank, in what way is it a bad thing, did you have a bad experience with one, or is just the difficulties of assembly into a crankcase
Thanks for sharing what you have so far.
Best Wishes Gene
HI. The laystall crank I had would not fit in the crankcase until the sides were relieved.  When it was fitted you really had to lighten the flywheel as the crank had circular solid webs. Very heavy and acted as flywheels which slowed gear changing a lot.  A good idea for balance but in my experience not in practise.   JRP
Hope my photo of the Cozett comes through ok!  Let me know!!
JRP

Here is a photo of JR 3668 at a pre-war hill climb
JRP

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   JR3668.jpg (Size: 144.42 KB / Downloads: 802)
(17-09-2020, 12:20 PM)Julian Pennell Wrote: Hope my photo of the Cozett comes through ok!  Let me know!!
JRP

Here is a photo of JR 3668 at a pre-war hill climb
JRP

Thanks Julian.
Looks to me like a Cozette 4, not a 5, which is lovely but not as excruciatingly rare.

Charles
Re: Cozette.
There you have me!!!  I never assumed it was anything but a normal Ulster fitment and left it at that. Sizes and Nos. I leave to you experts.
The other alternative at the time were aircraft cabin blowers adapted.  JRP
Hello Julian Pennell,
I have tried unsuccessfully to contact you by PM . Can you e-mail me at henryharris@btinternet.com ?
Many thanks.
My Ulster, GH 1989, has the ex-Stephenson Sand Racer engine 112768, I have the Works brake test figures for it.  The crankcase and timing case have the date of the test stamped on them (20th March 1931).  These dates fooled me for some years until John Sutton furnished me with a copy of the results which he found when he procured another car.  As far as is known, this engine was in my car when it went out to Australia in 1977/78.  According to Bill Sheenan and Grant Cowie, from whom I purchased the car, mine too had a Laystall two-piece crank which was found to be cracked and is now in a museum in Oz.  It was fitted with an early Allen crank, which it still has.

According to Beatrice Canning-Brown, the engine was not very successful for Percy and if you were to look at the results of the brake test you'd see why : The max power of this "Special Engine" .... was 'only' 34.5 bhp @ 5,500 rpm, about the commonly stated power of a 'standard' 'blown Ulster.  With the full works cars producing around 46 bhp it looks as if Percy was a bit short-changed unfortunately, the two test sheets (attached) give no monetary value to his purchase, but are very interesting for many other reasons ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's fascinating. Can you post a photo of the stamps on the crankcase to show what they look like?
JR 3668 is alive and well and living in Northern Ireland for the past 50 years. I saw the car this week. Photos of it were posted on the Austin Seven Specials facebook page in the past two weeks.