The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bending Plywood
Acetone removes that glue followed by nice hand cream !!
(04-07-2020, 12:41 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Whilst I have heard of IKEA, I have never been in one!
Steve's photos prove that a man can never have too many G-clamps.

I think some of them might have been yours as well!
I've never been in an IKEA. Both our Daughters have advised against it saying  'You wouldn't like it'  Huh

Steve
Wow!!  I am overwhelmed by the wealth of experience out there and by the very large number of helpful suggestions that I have received.  I am also slightly embarrassed that, having owned Morgans continuously since the late 60s and having witnessed the factory glueing and clamping wheel arches around a former, the idea of laminations never even occurred to me!

Thank you all so much for responding to my question.  I have much now to digest and a variety of interesting avenues and techniques to explore.  Watch out woodworm, your days are numbered!

John.
When I made a new seat back for the RN and RP I used 3mm birch faced ply. The outer laminations have the grain running the same way. When you cut it to shape the grain needs to be vertical.
  Each end of the sheet was soaked one end at a time in the shower tray overnight then clamped to the steamed ash corners. 
  When dry the corners were screwed in place, job done.
Always good to have a supplier recommendation - from Chris KC on page 2:

https://www.chilterntimber.co.uk/product...5-x-1-5mm/

I've used this stuff as well, but never with scissors.

Cascamite and Resorcinal took me down memory lane. Cascamite seems to be freely available still, and I remember it as easy enough to use and forgiving. Given how much I hate polyurethane I might go back to it. Resorcinol I remember as evil stuff I had little success with. I expect it needed "factory conditions".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resorcinol_glue

Lots of good reasons to use cascamite. Am remembering that when vacuum laminating ply I'd dilute pva with a bit of water to get it to spread more easily. The "hard on tools" is less of an issue unless a "sharpen my own saws" and "always use a plane, never a sander" sort. Next time I'm doing this I'm going to try cascamite again.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/why-...93068.html
A late comment just to add that Cascamite was the preferred option in boatshops, and is still easily available. If it's good enough for the Irish Sea, or the Trent and Mersey, it's good enough for a Seven!
There's an easy answer!

We (Martin Prior and Son's Motor Works) manufacture A7 seat backs in significant numbers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just in case anyone wonders what it's like, I've been in Ikea several times. It's nothing to be frightened of, but can't say I like the place. They seem to have far too much stuff on display, not much of it that you like, and it's not easy to find any to buy that are the same as display. And always take someone young, or you might never find your way out. Definitely need assistance to find your way back to your car.
If you're lucky you may see an assistant disappearing through one of the "straight to exit" doorways and you can escape, otherwise it's a mindless and endless trek...
Our Daughters have known me for 46 and 42 years respectively. It's not that they think I would be frightened of Ikea, it's more that Ikea might not like me and it would all go horribly wrong. In addition, inevitably, I'd be with their Mother who would be terribly embarrassed when I expressed my dissatisfaction with Ikea telling me what I should do.

They know me well so I've concluded that I should take their advice and it's best I stay away. Sad

Steve