The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonnet fitting
Just starting to assemble the Ruby front body.
However it appears the bonnet is strained along the centre joining hinge with the result
that one side is sitting too high on the shuttle and radiator cowl.
Has anyone experience of repairing this ?
Regard
           Tim
I have trued-up damaged hinges using a sheet-metal folder. If you're lucky it will be a fairly simple job of taking out the pin and separating the two leaves. Put the pin back into the strained one and clamp it in the folder with the barrel facing down, having dropped the apron of the folder enough to accommodate the barrel diameter. Gently raise the apron until the barrel is true.

Without a folder you can do it with a wooden punch having clamped the leaf between two lengths of angle iron, tapping each individual barrel gently until they all line up.

If the bonnet is still attached you will have much more of a problem but the solution is the same, using rubber to canvas to protect the bonnet.

As ever, most of the difficulty is getting the thing to stay still while you hit it!

Or bring it to Yorkshire and I'll do it for you...for the price of a pint in the newly re-opened pub across the road!
Put my bonnet back on the car this week after their 34 years apart. I'm glad it just fitted, with only a tiny bit of persuasion.
Duncan
Many thanks for such a detailed explanation !
Not having any of the equipment you mention I shall follow the angle-iron method.
In better times I would of taken you up on your kind offer.
Again thanks.
Regards
Tim
(My location is The Potteries Stoke)