The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexible coupling fouls handbrake mount
I think the technical term for the old Fabric coupling is 'shagged'....
The old one looks as if it was made from two thicknesses of conveyor belt...
(25-11-2017, 07:47 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: I think the technical term for the old Fabric coupling is 'shagged'....

Thanks Hugh. The vicar has been asking what was wrong with it and now I can tell him.
Angel
The handbrake ratchet looks like it could do with some dentures. I've seen Hens with more teeth!
NEW question!

Just rejuvenating an old thread as the title is a good one. This is about LWB so far, but I can find very little about the the SWB layout online. I have connector from the back of the 3 speed gearbox which connects to/locates the handbrake apparatus, but the prop tunnel metalwork around it is remade and not original.

How can one enable movement of the bracket to counter fouling which exists presently? My gut feel is that it needed to go slightly towards the driver, but that doesn't seem an option... although there seems to be front/rear adjustment of sorts on the gearbox mount? (Andrew Goodfellow does the remanufactured cover for the handbrake area and I am getting one of those to ensure the spacings is correct.)
Unscrew it out of the back of the gearbox. Make a bracket that attaches to the chassis front crossmember. That way you can move it away from the gearbox a smidge to suit. If the handbrake doesnt quite fit in the guide you just slot the holes for its bearings to suit with a file. You generally will need no more than 1/16.

Its a pretty common mod to an uncoupled braked SWB chassis when youve seen a few chassis. One of the benefits is that you can then fit any 3 speed box onto the car, even the post 1930 ones without the female thread. It also allows you to fit a 4 speed box (if you drill some new engine mounting holes - or if you use a later crankcase.)

The chassis for my AE came like that, very crude, but a bloody good idea.
Thankyou - that gets you a reputation point as I was just starting to think I'd have to pose another question in a new thread!!
Is there actually any adjustment first in the unmodified arrangement? - I was wondering whether the handbrake guide had to be absolutely vertical, or whether canting that a bit would help as a first step. Also whether there is any fore/aft adjustment on the screwy-in bit?

I'd like it keep it unmodified if I can get it to work (first!)...
Jon, the little bracket which screws into the back of the gearbox is usually quite worn where the handbrake lever rests against it, this allows the mechanism to go too far forward fouling the fabric joint mounting studs. The solution is to restore the length of the bracket by building up the end with weld or braze.
Black Art Enthusiast
thanks. So 93 to be made to same shape as here?
By the way, does 86 have any function in adjustment, or is it just as fastener?