The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes
Please others correct me if I'm wrong but

First comes mag starting handles, the shaft of which is larger in diameter than the later examples

Next comes the early coil nosecones which have a nut at the front, the shaft is still larger in diameter and the spring quite short pushing between a collar on the shaft and the nut (the shaft comingĀ out through the front of the nosecone when dismantled). Having just measured the nut I believe it to be 1 1/4 thread outer diameter by 16 tpi. This is the type I think you have and it should have a nut at the front and larger diameter shaft with a collar on it.

Next the later 3 speed coil type, I seem to recall from some reading I did from circa engine number 130,000 onwards. I think part number 1A459 which has the later type shaft with pin through the end the shaft being of a smaller diameter,0when dismantled this comes out through the engine end of the nosecone.

4 speed nosecones are shorter and I think part number 1A559 as above but about 3/4 inch shorter

Ruby type are longer still but of the same basic design, some have a detachable handle on a square

This link gives details of 3 Vs 4 speed type

Messages In This Thread
RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - by Mark R - 30-06-2020, 06:53 PM