The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genuine Ulster(Ulster Rep) bonnet rubber
David Mawby sent a couple of pics from his unrestored 1930 AE tourer. He notes:

There is a recess where the staple fits on the scuttle one, but NOT on the radiator one.

The profiles are different, which is the same on the other cars I have with original rubbers.

So that is another interesting thing to ponder. Did the rad not warrant the protective but visually intrusive 'bump' of rubber?
The more I look the more contradiction I am finding, several short chummy cowls and scuttle with holes in the crease, 29 type cowls with holes out from the crease, box saloon cowls with holes in the crease, my Nippy not in the crease????? Its worth noting that the step or joddle varies depending on which model we are looking at so I don't think that the one size fits all idea works, certainly the current offerings leave a bit to be desired on some cars.
Black Art Enthusiast
Jon, can you post David Mawby's photos? Ian, sorry you lost the post. It seems that at least at the scuttle, the profile at the top of Mick's photos is the same as the one I got from Ken Morton. Can anyone provide profile photos of the one at the cowl that has the channel?

Erich in Seattle
(04-07-2020, 10:50 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: One thing is puzzling me after reading this thread. As I understand it, the factory made 168 EA sports models for sale to the public, in the years 1930-1932. Knowing that Lord Austin was a canny fellow as far as money is concered I fail to see any economic reason why he would design and commission a short production run of special form bonnet rubbers for the "Ulster" models when there must have been literally yards and yards of the stuff already available in the factory.  No doubt Erich has already investigated the cost of having a short production run of bespoke rubber made, and is therefore no doubt well aware of the additional cost entailed. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why Austin would do this for such a small number of cars, compared with the volume production. It just doesn't make any sense. 

I am of the opinion that there are more important things to worry about in this life and I am now going to water my tomatoes.

Is this what the Model Train world describe as 'rivet counters' ?  Smile
Tony, I will admit to being a bit of a rivet counter. Restoring my 31 Ulster, and my Ulster Rep, I've noted that the commonly available rubber strips don't actually fit very well. But I'm not so anally retentive to ask if the slots on the screws were aligned horizontally, vertically or randomly. ;-)

Erich in Seattle
remember he said there was no channel on the cowl ones...
This doesn't really add anything other than showing how neat it can look - and confirming the recess.

Just a small correction, the bonnet rubber shown at the bottom of my photo is actually Edgware Motor Rubber's stock item number 369 and not 447 as stated.
If someone is eventually proved right in this fascinating discussion,I wonder what the outcome will be.
I’m saying nothing Ian!
You seem to be in the minority in that case Ivor.