The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genuine Ulster(Ulster Rep) bonnet rubber
Unfortunately then I can not help, the scuttle rubber had already gone.
Black Art Enthusiast
be good to see the one you have too though, Ian!
Interesting - can't access the EA road test images on Austin Harris's website currently. Perhaps the detail images of those have the absolute answer to confirm Andy Hastings and to confirm front and rear seatings are different?
Jon Edgar has just brought post this to my attention and I suppose my Ulster VE4498 has to be one of the most original around. However, regarding perishable bits like the rubber surround to the bulkhead/firewall, your guess is as good as mine. I took this shot for another reason but may provide some guidance. 

.jpg   P1110592 (800x600).jpg (Size: 213.21 KB / Downloads: 320)
That’s an interesting photo James, thank you.  I’m interested in how the rubber is fitted to the scuttle....are those metal strips in the photo?
Jays,
Wire clips, available from Willie McKenzie.
The rubber is fitted with short, folded lengths of 16 swg steel wire.
In my experience the front and rear bonnet rubbers are the same section. I can see no reason for there being a different moulding for the sports model when it has the same radiator shell as the saloon, tourer et al.

These are pics of what has to be the original bonnet moulding of RM, B3-8981                

This is from 2 Seat tourer, B-1518 that I dismantled in 1964, slightly different and may or may not be original Austin.             
Henry, this is helpful. Thank you. If I am seeing what I think I am seeing on the second batch of photos, the "staples" to fit the rubber to the scuttle may have been intended to fit inside the channel. That might alleviate the rubbing on the bonnet underside which I have heard people mention is an issue. I can't quite tell if there is a channel on the RM rubber.

Erich in Seattle
Now those ARE interesting photos! And Erich - exactly - it's always struck me that having wire connections on the other simpler rubber does result in rubbing, or the potential for it. I'm going back to find the Nippy images with that section. The thing that I scratch my head over is that Chris Gould has never seen that section in 60 years on a Nippy...

Henry, is it possible to get a photo of the cross section of the first, most reliable one?
Jon, in my relatively limited experience with Sevens, I have been impressed by the thoughtfulness of the design. It is the same in many disciplines. Often today, I hear dismissals of some older techniques or designs, as if the practitioners were much less educated. However, while they didn't have the benefit of computers and other modern technology, they didn't choose things randomly. Harry Riccardo was brilliant, and came up with his theories through common sense, experimentation and a slide rule. While Herbert Austin was concerned about profitability, he was also concerned about function and detail, as that contributed to profitability, ultimately. More to come!

Erich in Seattle