The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot rods allowed?
Welcome to the forum. The Ford Pop front axle referred to, would I think be a Ford Anglia front axle on your side of the Atlantic. The same front axle was also used on the RHD small Ford vans used by the USPS for deliveries. The E93A Ford axle is a bit wider than the Austin Seven beam axle but isn't difficult to fit to an A7. It's also fairly straightforward to convert to hydraulic brakes.

BTW, there was a A7 special featured on this forum a while ago which also used the same three cylinder motor and gearbox (transmission) that you have.
Hi Goldmountain

I like hot rods but think there is a balance between destroying a rare vintage car and making use of body shells and parts that come on the market.  I think your build falls nicely in the latter camp so I’m right behind you!

Check out a rod called “Small Fry” built in the late 70’s here in Britain but shown at events in the States. 

The Austin front axle set up is not the strongest as the king pin eyes are rather small and not deep.  However it would be easy to fabricate a dropped tube axle with billet king pin carriers and spring supports. Morris Minor brake backplates have been used lots here. Grafted onto the centre of the Austin backplate they allow hydraulics to be installed. As Steve has mentioned Midget / Sprite back axles should fit but remember the host of other BMC cars that used the same axle design (Austin A30/A35, Austin A40, Riley 1.5) Also the small Fords from the 60’s (Anglia for example). As an aside BMC back axles had weak half shafts (don’t ask me how I know this!!!)

Good luck and do keep us informed of progress!

Cheers

Howard
Thank you all for your input.  As to the questions - I am in Lethbridge Alberta.  I had considered an Anglia front axle but every car I come across on the internet - it appears that if they aren't using the axle, they have long since sold it.  I did come across one years back at an estate sale, but I didn't need one at the time.  Deep regret.  Anyhow, back to the issue of the axle from China.  When I finally tried to buy it, it turns out I needed a minimum order of 5 axles.  On to plan B.  Back on Alibaba, I find "DIY four wheel electric ATV modified karting steel tube front suspension".  This one is independent front suspension and looks like a shrunken version of the Mustang II front end that is so popular among the street rod crowd.  $135, and yes, they will sell just one.  The only flaw to this idea is the cost of shipping - $970.  Mulling it over, I talk to my wife.  This calls for a vacation trip to China where I bring it back as luggage.  It weighs 29 kg and with a bit of juggling in the suitcases, very possible.  With this covid 19 still around, it may take some time before I go, but it is just as well since I do have another car project that I should finish first.

One more thing, I did find a magazine article on Small Fry.  It was featured in the December 1978 issue of Street Rodder magazine.  I googled the license plate GPK 641 and found a video of it on youtube.
Here's the DVLA listing for GPK 641, currently taxed until April 2021 - 3.5 litre engine.

.png   Screenshot 2020-07-01 at 10.17.23.png (Size: 97.77 KB / Downloads: 181)
Surely someone in Alberta has wrecked a side by side. or maybe a Smart Car?

Or you could cobble together an MG Midget suspension here

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/gra...1505533826